1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homogenous PDE with separation of variables

1. Jul 21, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Sorry don't know how to use the partial symbol, bear with me

partial u wrt t=2*(2nd partial u wrt x)

Boundary conditions:
    partial u wrt x (0,t)=partial u wrt x (1,t)=0

Initial conditions
    u(x,0)=x(1-x)

2. Relevant equations

I get an answer that is different than the solution manual, but I am convinced the solution manual is wrong, so I would just like it if anyone had the spare time to verify the solution for me. I do have a few minor questions though.

1. When solving for the eigenvalues, is n=0,1,2,3... or does n=1,2,3...? I ask this because I get 0 as an eigenvalue when doing the case for lambda=0, but technically this woulda already shown itself when I did the other case when I got the "real" eigenvalues because it was to solve sqrt(-lambda)=npi, so if n=0 that would have already been taken care of.

3. The attempt at a solution

I get F(x)=Cncosnpix and G(t)= e^(-2pi^2n^2t) When I solve the fourier series I used L=1 and got ao=-1/3 and an = (4(-1)^n) )/ (pi^2n^2)

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2011 #2

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

So the equation you want to solve is:
    [tex]
    \frac{\partial u}{\partial t}=2\frac{\partial^{2}u}{\partial x^{2}}
    [/tex]
    with
    [tex]
    \frac{\partial u}{\partial x}(t,0)=\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}(t,1)=0
    [/tex]
    with initial condition [itex]u(0,x)=x(1-x)[/itex]?

What are your steps?

4. Jul 21, 2011 #3
    Yeah that's correct.

As for my steps, I just followed normal procedure of separation of variables so

assume solution is u(x,t)=F(x)G(t)

So G'/(2G)=F''/F=λ and my 2 ODEs are:

1. G'-2Gλ=0
    2. F''-Fλ=0

Then I solve for F using the three cases, λ<0, λ=0, λ>0 and the boundary values F'(0)=F'(1)=0. The only case that is non trivial is the λ<0 case which is when I get my λn=-n^2pi^2 and my Fn=Ccos(npix). I then plug in λn back into the other ODE to solve for G and I get G=e^(-2pi^2n^2t), and then I take the infinite sum and make it equal to the initial conditions which makes it a fourier series representation. Then I apply the integration formulas to solve for the coefficients.

5. Jul 21, 2011 #4

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

Going back to your questions you already took care of [itex]\lambda =0[/itex], so you can just have n=1,2,3...

Was that all the questions you had?

Mat

6. Jul 21, 2011 #5
    Well, when I take the infinite series do I start from n=0 then because lambda=0 is included? Cause then I take the first term and I get the ao constant, which I'm assuming is suppose to happen but I just wanted to clarify.

And I was kinda hoping if someone would solve it so I can compare my answers because the solution manual has another answer that I have no idea how they got and there are no steps.

7. Jul 21, 2011 #6

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

I think you can say that [itex]\lambda <0[/itex] straight away as otherwise the solution will grow exponentially with t. So write [itex]\lambda =-\mu^{2}[/itex] and you get the two solutions:
    [tex]
    G=Ae^{-2\mu^{2}t},\quad F=B\cos\mu x+C\sin\mu x
    [/tex]
    As this is just one particular solution and there are an infinite many so write:
    [tex]
    u=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}A_{n}e^{-2\mu_{n}^{2}t}(B_{n}\cos\mu_{n} x+C_{n}\sin\mu_{n} x)
    [/tex]
    Was that what you did?

8. Jul 21, 2011 #7
    Yeah except there's no sin

9. Jul 21, 2011 #8

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think you should check again the case where λ = 0. I think you will find that a constant works. And that's what you would expect given that you will be expanding a function in a cosine series.

10. Jul 21, 2011 #9
    I know lambda=0 does work, but since its a constant doesnt it just merge with the coefficient in F=Ccos(npix) if I start n=0,1,2,3...

11. Jul 22, 2011 #10

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. It does give you the constant term of the FS.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook