Homogenous PDE with separation of variables

In summary: So what's the problem?In summary, the conversation is about solving a partial differential equation using separation of variables and verifying the solution using the Fourier series. The main topic of discussion is the case where the eigenvalue is equal to 0 and whether it should be included in the summation or not. The conclusion is that including it will result in a constant term in the Fourier series.
spaceknight

Homework Statement

Sorry don't know how to use the partial symbol, bear with me

partial u wrt t=2*(2nd partial u wrt x)

Boundary conditions:
partial u wrt x (0,t)=partial u wrt x (1,t)=0

Initial conditions
u(x,0)=x(1-x)

Homework Equations

I get an answer that is different than the solution manual, but I am convinced the solution manual is wrong, so I would just like it if anyone had the spare time to verify the solution for me. I do have a few minor questions though.

1. When solving for the eigenvalues, is n=0,1,2,3... or does n=1,2,3...? I ask this because I get 0 as an eigenvalue when doing the case for lambda=0, but technically this woulda already shown itself when I did the other case when I got the "real" eigenvalues because it was to solve sqrt(-lambda)=npi, so if n=0 that would have already been taken care of.

The Attempt at a Solution

I get F(x)=Cncosnpix and G(t)= e^(-2pi^2n^2t) When I solve the Fourier series I used L=1 and got ao=-1/3 and an = (4(-1)^n) )/ (pi^2n^2)

Physics news on Phys.org
So the equation you want to solve is:
[tex]
\frac{\partial u}{\partial t}=2\frac{\partial^{2}u}{\partial x^{2}}
[/tex]
with
[tex]
\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}(t,0)=\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}(t,1)=0
[/tex]
with initial condition [itex]u(0,x)=x(1-x)[/itex]?

What are your steps?

Yeah that's correct.

As for my steps, I just followed normal procedure of separation of variables so

assume solution is u(x,t)=F(x)G(t)

So G'/(2G)=F''/F=λ and my 2 ODEs are:

1. G'-2Gλ=0
2. F''-Fλ=0

Then I solve for F using the three cases, λ<0, λ=0, λ>0 and the boundary values F'(0)=F'(1)=0. The only case that is non trivial is the λ<0 case which is when I get my λn=-n^2pi^2 and my Fn=Ccos(npix). I then plug in λn back into the other ODE to solve for G and I get G=e^(-2pi^2n^2t), and then I take the infinite sum and make it equal to the initial conditions which makes it a Fourier series representation. Then I apply the integration formulas to solve for the coefficients.

Going back to your questions you already took care of [itex]\lambda =0[/itex], so you can just have n=1,2,3...

Was that all the questions you had?

Mat

Well, when I take the infinite series do I start from n=0 then because lambda=0 is included? Cause then I take the first term and I get the ao constant, which I'm assuming is suppose to happen but I just wanted to clarify.

And I was kinda hoping if someone would solve it so I can compare my answers because the solution manual has another answer that I have no idea how they got and there are no steps.

I think you can say that [itex]\lambda <0[/itex] straight away as otherwise the solution will grow exponentially with t. So write [itex]\lambda =-\mu^{2}[/itex] and you get the two solutions:
[tex]
G=Ae^{-2\mu^{2}t},\quad F=B\cos\mu x+C\sin\mu x
[/tex]
As this is just one particular solution and there are an infinite many so write:
[tex]
u=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}A_{n}e^{-2\mu_{n}^{2}t}(B_{n}\cos\mu_{n} x+C_{n}\sin\mu_{n} x)
[/tex]
Was that what you did?

Yeah except there's no sin

I think you should check again the case where λ = 0. I think you will find that a constant works. And that's what you would expect given that you will be expanding a function in a cosine series.

I know lambda=0 does work, but since its a constant doesn't it just merge with the coefficient in F=Ccos(npix) if I start n=0,1,2,3...

spaceknight said:
I know lambda=0 does work, but since its a constant doesn't it just merge with the coefficient in F=Ccos(npix) if I start n=0,1,2,3...

Yes. It does give you the constant term of the FS.

1. What is a homogenous PDE?

A homogenous partial differential equation (PDE) is a type of PDE where all the terms have the same degree of the dependent variable and its derivatives. This means that the equation is "homogenous" in terms of its variables.

2. What is separation of variables?

Separation of variables is a method used to solve certain types of PDEs, including homogenous PDEs. It involves assuming that the solution can be expressed as a product of functions, each of which depends on only one of the variables in the equation.

3. When is separation of variables used to solve a PDE?

Separation of variables is typically used to solve PDEs with boundary conditions that can be expressed as a product of functions, which is often the case for homogenous PDEs.

4. What are the steps for solving a homogenous PDE using separation of variables?

The steps for solving a homogenous PDE using separation of variables are as follows:

1. Assume the solution can be expressed as a product of functions.
  2. Substitute this assumed solution into the PDE.
  3. Simplify and rearrange the resulting equations to separate the variables.
  4. Apply the appropriate boundary conditions to each separated equation.
  5. Solve each separated equation for the corresponding function.
  6. Combine the solutions to get the final solution to the PDE.

5. What are some applications of homogenous PDEs with separation of variables?

Homogenous PDEs with separation of variables have many applications in various fields of science and engineering, including physics, chemistry, and engineering. They are used to model and solve problems related to heat transfer, fluid dynamics, and quantum mechanics, among others.