Homomorphism, Kernel and Coset

• Thread starter LCSphysicist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kernel
In summary, the kernel K of f is {0,4} because these elements are mapped to the identity of the group. Additionally, we can use the modulo function and multiplication to show that the kernel is indeed {0,4}.
LCSphysicist
Homework Statement
Relevant Equations
1608265762560.png

I did the first step, that is, show that f is a homomorphism. Now i need to find the kernel K of f. But i am a little confused how to find it. Seeing the image, can we say the kernel is {0,4}?

Physics news on Phys.org
Herculi said:
Homework Statement:: .
Relevant Equations:: .

View attachment 274584
I did the first step, that is, show that f is a homomorphism. Now i need to find the kernel K of f. But i am a little confused how to find it. Seeing the image, can we say the kernel is {0,4}?

Yes, you are correct. The kernel are all elements that are mapped to the identity of the group (0 here), and these elements are exactly 0 and 4.

It might be easier than checking ##64## possibilities to show that the modulo function, which assigns the remainder ##r## in a division by ##n## to ##n##, and multiplication by ##m## are (additive) homomorphisms
$$
g\, : \,\mathbb{Z} \longrightarrow m\cdot \mathbb{Z}\; , \;z\longrightarrow m\cdot z
$$
$$
f\, : \,\mathbb{Z}\longrightarrow \mathbb{Z}_n\; , \; z\longmapsto r \text{ where } z=q\cdot n + r\, , \,0\leq r<n
$$

1. What is a homomorphism?

A homomorphism is a function that preserves the algebraic structure between two mathematical objects. In other words, it maps elements from one object to another in a way that preserves the operations and relationships between them.

2. What is the kernel of a homomorphism?

The kernel of a homomorphism is the set of elements in the domain that are mapped to the identity element in the codomain. In other words, it is the set of elements that are "ignored" by the homomorphism.

3. How is the kernel related to the cosets?

The cosets of a homomorphism's kernel are the sets of elements in the domain that are mapped to the same element in the codomain. This means that the cosets are the "pieces" of the domain that are mapped to the same "piece" in the codomain.

4. What is the significance of the cosets in a homomorphism?

The cosets of a homomorphism's kernel provide important information about the structure of the domain and codomain. They can help identify symmetries and patterns within the objects being mapped, and can also be used to determine the size and properties of the objects.

5. How are homomorphisms, kernels, and cosets used in real-world applications?

Homomorphisms, kernels, and cosets are used in a variety of fields, such as abstract algebra, group theory, and cryptography. In cryptography, for example, they are used to encrypt and decrypt messages, while in abstract algebra, they are used to study the structure of mathematical objects. They also have applications in computer science, physics, and other scientific fields.