Exploring the Mechanics of Homopolar Motors: A Comprehensive Guide

In summary, these demos use magnets to create motion. The first demo will not work without the battery, and the second demo uses insulated wire and will not work with short circuited turns. The current through the magnets does not change the alignment of the magnetic domains, but the spin of the conduction electrons does.
brian.green
How these are working:

Is current flowing? In the first case I don't think so. In the other... the wire is insulated like in a coil I think and then no current also. But why need the battery and why the battery is discharging?
Can current flow through a magnet without demagnetize it? What does the magnet do here at all?

Science news on Phys.org
Yes, current is flowing in both cases! The second one will not work with insulated wire. Depending on the design a homopolar motor can draw enough current to make the wire hot.

+1 to that.

In both cases the battery supplies the power needed to cause motion. Neither will work without the battery. Can't be done with magnets alone because they aren't an energy source.

Both demos are very cool.

Dale said:
Yes, current is flowing in both cases! The second one will not work with insulated wire.

But electrons are flowing through the magnets. Is it demagnetize them? I mean e- particles change, one leave and one arrive which has to allign to the right direction to keep up the magnetic field.

Most turns in the tunnel (on the second demo) are short circuited because contact each others without insulation. Why is it not problem?

If you have time I would like a detailed explanation how does it work.

Last edited:
brian.green said:
But electrons are flowing through the magnets. Is it demagnetize them? I mean e- particles change, one leave and one arrive which has to allign to the right direction to keep up the magnetic field.

Can you think of a reason why the net number electrons drifting through the magnet due to the Current would behave any differently from the same electrons that are in constant thermal motion? This only involves the valence electrons that are dissociated from any particular atom. If there were sufficient current to heat the magnet, the permanent magnetism could be destroyed, I guess.

brian.green said:
No. The current through the magnet does not change the alignment of the magnetic domains unless it is really large.

brian.green said:
Here is a detailed explanation
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...4X6xcPmEpVS7XVKEQ&sig2=j8PIIOm6TRIGy0oTm9d2uQ

Last edited:
Likes brian.green
sophiecentaur said:
Can you think of a reason why the net number electrons drifting through the magnet due to the Current would behave any differently from the same electrons that are in constant thermal motion? This only involves the valence electrons that are dissociated from any particular atom. If there were sufficient current to heat the magnet, the permanent magnetism could be destroyed, I guess.

Electrons don't have to change their spin because of a little thermal motion. Big is demagnetize the metal of course. Current flow force spin to allign but electrons are already alligned to an other direction and will resist. The degree of R is up to the direction of the current flow.

Dale said:
No. The current through the magnet does not change the alignment of the magnetic domains unless it is really large.

I read the resistance of a magnet is very high. I was thinking... this resistance is up to the direction of the current flow. Those electrons in a magnet stick on their position much more than on a non-magnetized metal. They have to change their spin against the other electrons and full domains. If the direction of current keep the left hand rule the resistance is low, the opposite direction give the highest R and so one...
Am I right?

Dale said:
Here is a detailed explanation

Thanks, this pdf is really useful!

Likes sophiecentaur
brian.green said:
I read the resistance of a magnet is very high
This is not correct, but even if it were it would not make a magnet demagnetize. The magnetization of a ferromagnetic material is due to the bulk alignment of the magnetic domain crystals. The spin of conduction electrons doesn't matter much.

Dale said:
The spin of conduction electrons doesn't matter much.
And they are in pretty much the same amount of motion even when there is no current. A charge flow of mm per second can hardly make any difference, except to add a small change in the external magnetic field.

two things I want to say here , first of all observe! that most if not all demos involving a homopolar motor in its various layouts and forms involve the use of neodymium magnets , mostly round in shape.almoust all neodymium magnets have a conductive metallic coating which acts as a conductor.
Because of this the neodymium magnet itself can be used as a motor even without any other coils or parts , ofcourse the battery is still needed as the energy source or any other energy source for that matter.
an example here :

It;s basically a homopolar disc with a magnet attached to it ,the disc being the conductive coating.the second thing is more of a question i want to add from myself, in the first demo and youtube is full with such demos , a battery stands in the middle with a small neodymium and a twisted wire rotating around it.Now I don't want to go in length here about the basis of my question as for this post but what would happen if the battery with the magnet was rotating itself? if spinned in the direction of wire movement would the wire now spin with the rpm of rpm battery + rpm of the wire itself?
it is said that for a homopolar motor the actual physical spinning of the magnet doesn't matter as long as there is a uniform field which there is for a cylindrical magnet.

Salvador said:
almoust all neodymium magnets have a conductive metallic coating which acts as a conductor.
It;s basically a homopolar disc with a magnet attached to it ,the disc being the conductive coating.

You are right! I forgot the coating!
But where is the Lorentz force in this demo? The electron flow in the same direction with the flux of those magnets. These has to be perpendicular to each others.

But they are look closely , imagine this setup as two faraday discs with a magnet inbetween , the discs are the coating on the magnet.

I found the answer for my own question!

http://www.school-for-champions.com/science/magnetism_lorentz.htm

"A magnetic field is created by the motion of an electrically charged particle—such as a proton or electron. If that electrical charge is moving through an external magnetic field, there will be a magnetic attraction or repulsion force, depending on how the two magnetic fields interact."

And I found a better video about the second demo, the train. This one explain how to build it and how does it work:

Likes Dale

Related to Exploring the Mechanics of Homopolar Motors: A Comprehensive Guide

1. What is a Homopolar motor?

A Homopolar motor is a simple electric motor that uses the flow of electricity to create motion. It consists of a battery, a conductor, and a magnetic field, and is powered by the Lorentz force, which is the force exerted on a charged particle in a magnetic field.

2. How does a Homopolar motor work?

The Homopolar motor works by placing a battery on a flat surface, such as a table, and attaching a copper wire to the positive terminal of the battery. The wire is then bent into a U-shape with one end touching the negative terminal of the battery and the other end touching the surface. When an electric current flows through the wire, it creates a magnetic field around the wire. This magnetic field interacts with the magnetic field created by the battery, causing the wire to rotate around the battery.

3. What materials are needed to make a Homopolar motor?

To make a Homopolar motor, you will need a battery, a copper wire, and a magnet. You can also use a neodymium magnet for a stronger magnetic field.

4. What are the practical applications of Homopolar motors?

Homopolar motors have limited practical applications due to their low efficiency and low torque. However, they are often used in educational demonstrations to show the principles of electromagnetism and electric motors. They can also be used in small toys or models.

5. How can I improve the performance of a Homopolar motor?

The performance of a Homopolar motor can be improved by using a stronger magnet, a thicker and longer wire, and a larger battery. Placing the magnet closer to the wire and ensuring a good connection between the wire and the battery can also improve its performance. Additionally, experimenting with different shapes and sizes of magnets and wires can also lead to better results.