Horizontal and vertical component for electric field

In summary, the vertical component cancels out at the video length 1:25 due to symmetry, as there is a similar charge arrangement above and below the center. The horizontal component also cancels out at the video length 3:55 due to symmetry. If the arc is 1/4 instead of 1/2, there will still be both x and y components because the symmetry is about a line from point O to the center of the arc.
ToonBlue

Homework Statement

At the video length 1:25 , why does the vertical component cancel out ?

At the video length 3:55 , why does the horizontal component cancel out?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't seem to understand this part very well for the vertical and horizontal component.

Physics news on Phys.org
Symmetry. In the first case, you have a similar charge arrangement above and below the center, so their vertical effects cancel.

Does it mean that if the arc is 1/4 and not 1/2 , it will have both x and y component ? since there is no symmetry ? correct me if I am wrong

ToonBlue said:
Does it mean that if the arc is 1/4 and not 1/2 , it will have both x and y component ? since there is no symmetry ? correct me if I am wrong
I don't know what you mean. It's not the size of the arc, it's the symmetry.

upload_2015-9-6_23-49-22.png

What I mean is something like this? In this case , it will have both x and y component since there is no symmetry. Correct or ? am i wrong?

ToonBlue said:
What I mean is something like this? In this case , it will have both x and y component since there is no symmetry.
The symmetry will be about a line from the point O to the center of the arc. Since that's not along the x or y axis, there will be an x and y component.

I see thank you.

1. What is the difference between horizontal and vertical components for electric field?

The horizontal component of an electric field refers to the direction of the field that is parallel to the ground or a flat surface. The vertical component, on the other hand, is perpendicular to the ground or surface. Essentially, they represent the different directions in which the electric field is acting.

2. How do you calculate the horizontal and vertical components of an electric field?

To calculate the horizontal and vertical components of an electric field, you can use trigonometry. The horizontal component can be found by multiplying the magnitude of the electric field by the cosine of the angle it makes with the ground or surface. The vertical component can be found by multiplying the magnitude of the electric field by the sine of the angle.

3. Why is it important to understand the horizontal and vertical components of an electric field?

Understanding the horizontal and vertical components of an electric field is crucial in many applications, such as in electrical engineering and physics. It allows us to accurately calculate the strength and direction of the electric field, which is essential in designing and analyzing electric circuits and systems.

4. Can the horizontal and vertical components of an electric field cancel each other out?

No, the horizontal and vertical components of an electric field cannot cancel each other out. This is because they are acting in perpendicular directions and have different magnitudes. However, they can combine to produce a resultant electric field that is a combination of both components.

5. How does the presence of a conducting surface affect the horizontal and vertical components of an electric field?

A conducting surface can affect the horizontal and vertical components of an electric field by changing their directions and magnitudes. This is because a conducting surface can create an induced electric field that opposes the original electric field. As a result, the horizontal and vertical components may be redirected or reduced in strength.