Calculating the Vertical component of the Velocity

In summary: Overall, it doesn't matter which direction you choose as long as you are consistent with it.In summary, a physics class has created a device for launching a cricket ball at ground level with an initial velocity of 28.0 m s–1 at an angle of 30.0 degrees to the horizontal. To find the vertical component of the velocity at different times, the acceleration equations are used. After some discussion and guidance, it is determined that the negative 9.8 ms-2 refers to the gravitational acceleration in the downward direction.
bronteogrady

Homework Statement

A physics class researching projectile motion constructs
a device that can launch a cricket ball. The launching
device is designed so that the ball can be launched at
ground level with an initial velocity of 28.0 m s–1 at an
angle of 30.0 degrees to the horizontal.

Homework Equations

Calculate the vertical component of the velocity of the ball:
a initially
b after 1.00 s
c after 2.00 s.

The Attempt at a Solution

Done A how do I do B and C??

Thankyou

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi and welcome to Physics Forums!

We require you to show some effort in working towards a solution before we provide help and guidance. What are your own thoughts on how to approach B and C?

I thought about using the acceleration equations though I have not used these before with a degrees in the mix and was unsure if I needed to include this.

So how do you think the ball is accelerated? Which component of the velocity is affected?

The vertical component because horizontal does not use the acceleration equations

Yes, so try applying that and show us what you get.

so using the initial vertical component at the initial velocity in the equation v=u+at?

Yes. As you said yourself, this is the only component of velocity that is influenced by the acceleration.

Thankyou! Now I have it is seems easy! just wondering, why is the 9.8 ms-2 negative? is is because when it is moving up it is going in the opposite direction? If so does this mean that when is is moving downwards the 9.8ms-2 would be positive?

This depends completely on how you have defined your coordinates. If you have defined the up direction as the positive y-direction, then the gravitational acceleration will be in the negative y-direction, i.e., down. If you did it the other way around and defined the down direction as positive, then you would have a positive gravitational acceleration, but the sign of the initial velocity in that direction would be changed as well.

What is the formula for calculating the vertical component of velocity?

The formula for calculating the vertical component of velocity is vy = v * sin(θ), where v is the magnitude of the velocity and θ is the angle between the velocity vector and the horizontal axis.

How is the vertical component of velocity different from the horizontal component?

The vertical component of velocity is the speed at which an object is moving upwards or downwards, while the horizontal component is the speed at which it is moving left or right. These two components are perpendicular to each other and together make up the total velocity vector.

Can the vertical component of velocity be negative?

Yes, the vertical component of velocity can be negative. A negative value indicates that the object is moving downwards, while a positive value indicates that it is moving upwards.

What is the unit of measurement for the vertical component of velocity?

The unit of measurement for the vertical component of velocity is typically meters per second (m/s) in the SI system. However, it can also be expressed in other units such as feet per second (ft/s) or kilometers per hour (km/h).

How can I use the vertical component of velocity in real-life situations?

The vertical component of velocity is important in various real-life situations, such as projectile motion, free fall, and fluid mechanics. It can also be used to calculate the time of flight for a projectile or the height of an object at a certain point in time.