Where Will the Ball Hit the Floor of the Railcart?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a railcart moving at a constant velocity with a ball attached to its ceiling. The ball is dropped at the same time the railcart's brakes are pushed, causing deceleration. The goal is to find the horizontal distance the ball travels before hitting the floor of the railcart. The solution involves integrating the x velocity and using the equation for vertical displacement to find the time when the ball hits the floor. The conversation also touches on the concept of finding x0 and the use of Galilean transformation in accelerated systems. The final solution is found by plugging in the correct values and avoiding simple mistakes.
supercali
[SOLVED] a question

a railcart moves along a railway at constant velocity [tex]v_0[/tex] with a ball attached to its ceiling. at t=0 the ball is drooped from the ceiling and at the same time the railcart breaks are pushed creating deceleration such that its velocity is:
[tex]v=v_0e^{ -pt}\hat{x}[/tex] .
h is the distance between the ceiling and the floor.
in which horizontal distance will the ball hit the floor of the railcart. given [tex]v_0[/tex]=70m/sec
h=180m p=0.0185 1/sec g=10m/sec^2
if you can help me understand this and solve it
thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You will have to integrate the x velocity dt to get the horizontal displacement as a function of time. The vertical displacement is the usual (1/2)*g*t^2. Use that to find t when it hits the floor and put it into the x displacement.

clarifications

ok i understood
but when i integrate i have an [tex]x_0[/tex] is it zero or because the railcart is decelerating i need to find it.
and another question regarding the use of the well known equation [tex]x=v_0t+ \frac{at^2}{2}[/tex] since there is an acceleration shoulnt there be a different accelaration according to the galilean transformation in accelerated systems

ok i did as you told me and got after integrating [tex]\frac{v_0e^{-pt}}{-p}[/tex] and the answer wasnt right. i got -3386.25m fot the time 6sec
i think it has to do with the fact that i didnt calculate the [tex]x_0[/tex] how do i do that

Last edited:
supercali said:
ok i did as you told me and got after integrating [tex]\frac{v_0e^{-pt}}{-p}[/tex] and the answer wasnt right. i got -3386.25m fot the time 6sec
i think it has to do with the fact that i didnt calculate the [tex]x_0[/tex] how do i do that

Your problem is that you can't just plug t=6 into that. You have to put t=6 and t=0 and then subtract them. It's an indefinite integral.

supercali said:
ok i understood
but when i integrate i have an [tex]x_0[/tex] is it zero or because the railcart is decelerating i need to find it.
and another question regarding the use of the well known equation [tex]x=v_0t+ \frac{at^2}{2}[/tex] since there is an acceleration shoulnt there be a different accelaration according to the galilean transformation in accelerated systems

There is no 'x0' to find. The initial value of x doesn't matter. This is all about differences. And there is no need to change frames. You are doing fine solving the problem is this one.

**** i don't believe it i made that stupid mistake of not putting a zero in the integral

dude thak you very much
your the best
keep on helping it is the nicest thing ever

FAQ: Where Will the Ball Hit the Floor of the Railcart?

What is horizontal distance?

Horizontal distance is the measurement of the distance between two points along a horizontal plane. It is typically measured in units such as meters, feet, or miles.

Why is horizontal distance important?

Horizontal distance is important in various fields such as engineering, geography, and construction. It is used to determine the layout and design of structures, map out land boundaries, and calculate travel distances.

How do you calculate horizontal distance?

To calculate horizontal distance, you will need to know the coordinates of the two points in question. Then, you can use the distance formula, which is the square root of [(x2 - x1)^2 + (y2 - y1)^2].

What is the difference between horizontal distance and vertical distance?

Horizontal distance measures the distance between two points along a horizontal plane, while vertical distance measures the distance between two points along a vertical plane. Horizontal distance is typically measured on a map or flat surface, while vertical distance is measured from ground level or sea level.

How is horizontal distance used in real life?

Horizontal distance is used in various real-life situations, such as determining the size and shape of a plot of land for a new building, calculating the distance between two cities for road trip planning, and determining the distance between two objects in a map or aerial photograph.

Back