1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Horizontal distance homework

1. Nov 23, 2007 #1
    [SOLVED] a question

a railcart moves along a railway at constant velocity [tex]v_0[/tex] with a ball attached to its ceiling. at t=0 the ball is drooped from the ceiling and at the same time the railcart breaks are pushed creating deceleration such that its velocity is:
    [tex]v=v_0e^{ -pt}\hat{x}[/tex] .
    h is the distance between the ceiling and the floor.
    in which horizontal distance will the ball hit the floor of the railcart. given [tex]v_0[/tex]=70m/sec
    h=180m p=0.0185 1/sec g=10m/sec^2
    if you can help me understand this and solve it
    thanks

Last edited: Nov 23, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You will have to integrate the x velocity dt to get the horizontal displacement as a function of time. The vertical displacement is the usual (1/2)*g*t^2. Use that to find t when it hits the floor and put it into the x displacement.

4. Nov 23, 2007 #3
    clarifications

ok i understood
    but when i integrate i have an [tex]x_0[/tex] is it zero or because the railcart is decelerating i need to find it.
    and another question regarding the use of the well known equation [tex]x=v_0t+ \frac{at^2}{2}[/tex] since there is an acceleration shoulnt there be a different accelaration according to the galilean transformation in accelerated systems

5. Nov 24, 2007 #4
    ok i did as you told me and got after integrating [tex]\frac{v_0e^{-pt}}{-p}[/tex] and the answer wasnt right. i got -3386.25m fot the time 6sec
    i think it has to do with the fact that i didnt calculate the [tex]x_0[/tex] how do i do that

Last edited: Nov 24, 2007
  6. Nov 24, 2007 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your problem is that you can't just plug t=6 into that. You have to put t=6 and t=0 and then subtract them. It's an indefinite integral.

7. Nov 24, 2007 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There is no 'x0' to find. The initial value of x doesn't matter. This is all about differences. And there is no need to change frames. You are doing fine solving the problem is this one.

8. Nov 24, 2007 #7
    **** i dont believe it i made that stupid mistake of not putting a zero in the integral

dude thak you very much
    your the best
    keep on helping it is the nicest thing ever

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?