Horizontally Launched Projectiles

• Thread starter corong1997
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Projectiles
In summary, the pilot of an airplane traveling horizontally at 200 km/h and 180 m above the ground is trying to determine the distance in advance of a fire to release flame retardant. Using the equation d=vit+1/2at^2, the pilot incorrectly substituted the initial horizontal velocity as zero and obtained a time of 36.69 seconds. The correct time is 1.68 seconds, which results in a distance of 336 meters. The error was due to using the velocity in meters per second instead of kilometers per hour.
corong1997

Homework Statement

An airplane loaded with flame retardant travels horizontally at 200. km/h. The altimeter indicates that the plane is 180. m above the ground. The pilot wants to know how far in advance of the fire to release the retardant. Please assist her.
The answer was given, which is 336 meters

Homework Equations

d=vit+1/2at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

So I plugged in all the numbers, 180 for d, 0 for vi, -9.81 for a. I got to 180=4.905t^2, which turns to 36.69. Then, I squared it, and got about 6.8, which is nowhere close to the time I need, which is 1.68. Please help me!

Physics news on Phys.org
This problem is similar to firing a bullet horizontally with velocity of 200m/s and an altitude of 180m and asking how far it will travel. In the equation you used the initial velocity in the vertical direction is zero but I think you substituted the initial horizontal velocity.

See horizontal projectile motion,

http://www.mrfizix.com/home/projectilemotion.htm

and,

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=i...w.,cf.osb&fp=d92e0af2da5034c4&biw=734&bih=439

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
By Vi, I meant ViY. I don't understand what I did wrong from the pages you sent me to. I know I'm doing something way wrong, I'm just not sure what

corong1997 said:
By Vi, I meant ViY. I don't understand what I did wrong from the pages you sent me to. I know I'm doing something way wrong, I'm just not sure what

OK, your time looks right, so the distance should be t*200m/s which is much larger then the "right" answer. One of the numbers in your first post are wrong?

Yeah probably, I found these problems online, so they may be a bit messed up :mad:

Check your units. The problem specifies the horizontal velocity to be 200 km/h, not 200 m/s.

What is a horizontally launched projectile?

A horizontally launched projectile is an object that is thrown or launched horizontally from a certain height with a certain initial velocity. It follows a parabolic path due to the force of gravity acting on it.

What is the equation for the horizontal distance traveled by a horizontally launched projectile?

The equation for the horizontal distance traveled by a horizontally launched projectile is d = v0t, where d is the distance traveled, v0 is the initial horizontal velocity, and t is the time.

What is the equation for the vertical distance traveled by a horizontally launched projectile?

The equation for the vertical distance traveled by a horizontally launched projectile is d = v0t + 1/2gt2, where d is the distance traveled, v0 is the initial vertical velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s2), and t is the time.

What factors affect the horizontal distance traveled by a horizontally launched projectile?

The horizontal distance traveled by a horizontally launched projectile is affected by the initial horizontal velocity, the angle at which it is launched, and the presence of air resistance. The height from which the projectile is launched does not affect the horizontal distance.

How does the angle of launch affect the range of a horizontally launched projectile?

The angle of launch affects the range of a horizontally launched projectile because it determines the initial vertical velocity. The ideal angle for maximum range is 45 degrees, as it allows for the maximum horizontal velocity while still accounting for the force of gravity. Launching at a lower angle will result in a shorter range, while launching at a higher angle will result in a higher arc and a shorter range.