Horsepower, Pounds and G-force

In summary, to find peak net horsepower, you can use the formula power = force x distance/time, and calculate the force using the accelerometer data and speed at the time of measurement. This can help estimate the brake horsepower of the vehicle, taking into account relevant frictional losses.
<3.7kw
If I know the vehicle weight in pounds and I know peak G-force.
Can I find peak net horsepower? If yes, how would I do it?

I have an accelerometer on my “Motor Driven Cycle” and I have weighed myself and the cycle. To keep the cycle legally a Motor Driven Cycle it must be under 5 bhp. If I can get net hp I can account for the other relevant frictional losses to estimate bhp.

Thank you for any help you might give.
<3.7kw

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

Power is force times distance/time, so if you use f=ma with the accelerator data you can find force, then you plug-in speed at the time of the measurement.

1. What is horsepower?

Horsepower is a unit of measurement used to measure the power or force of an engine. It was originally defined as the amount of power needed to lift 550 pounds one foot in one second.

2. How is horsepower related to pounds?

In the traditional definition of horsepower, it is related to pounds in that it is the amount of power needed to lift 550 pounds one foot in one second. However, in modern times, horsepower is more commonly used to describe the power output of an engine.

3. What is the significance of horsepower in vehicles?

Horsepower is used to measure the performance and power of an engine in vehicles. It is often used to compare the power of different engines and can indicate how fast a vehicle can accelerate or its top speed.

4. What is G-force and how does it relate to horsepower and pounds?

G-force is a measurement of acceleration and is typically measured in multiples of the force of gravity. It is related to horsepower and pounds in that a more powerful engine with a higher horsepower output can generate more G-force, allowing a vehicle to accelerate faster.

5. Can you convert horsepower to pounds?

No, horsepower and pounds are not directly convertible units. Horsepower is a unit of power, while pounds are a unit of mass. However, as mentioned earlier, horsepower was originally defined in relation to the amount of weight it could lift, but this definition is not commonly used in modern times.