Main Question or Discussion Point
Hi, recently I found something out by playing around with candles. Basically I heated some candle wax until it was completely out of its solid state (at least through the first approximation of my eye.) Then I continued to heat the wax until the liquid wax ignited and started to burn. Usually the wick on the candle is only burning wax vapor. Then I proceeded to dump the burning hot candle wax into cold water to my surprise, a very exothermic process took place (basically a mini explosion.) Can anyone explain the chemical reason behind this. My hypthesis so far is that wax is hyrophobic and does not like to interact with water. But when it is so hot and the water is so cold, heat must travel from hot to cold and this forces the wax to interact with the water. When the heat transfer is over, then the wax wants to leave away from the water very quickly and releases some energy as it does this.