How about a QUESTION OF THE DAY?

• Thread starter dharavsolanki
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is proposing a question of the day for the forum as a way to build up a good archive of questions. They believe this could be beneficial for students preparing for high school exams. However, after discussion with other mentors, it is decided that this idea would require too much oversight and there are already good teaching resources available on the forum. The thread is closed and may be revisited in the future if a mentor is available to oversee it.
dharavsolanki
Hey guys, I am hereby proposing a question of the day for this forum.

What I have in my mind is slightly different from the subscriber-publisher concept. I am thinking more on the lines of a collaboration to build up a good archive of questions.

The threads need to have:
* Not solutions, but general misconceptions that students might have
* Heuristics to arrive at the solution
* Points to ponder - how we take things from a certain numerical or a problem and learn from them

Over time - this might build up a good archive of questions. I am right now doing this for a bunch of friends who will appear for their high school exams this year. But I don't think this is all that a bad idea!

Reply here - and we might discuss a few DOs and DONTs of the thing.

I'm shooting my first question of the day along with this!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'll run it by the other Mentors. I've put your first QOTD in Moderation for now (not visible in the forums). Let the Mentors talk this over before we decide if it's appropriate or not. Thanks.

What's the scene regarding this?

And hey, thanks!

dharavsolanki said:
What's the scene regarding this?

And hey, thanks!

Still discussing, but almost have a consensus. Just a bit longer please...

Okay, thanks for your patience.

The consensus is that although this is a good idea in some ways, it would take too much oversight by the staff to make sure that the threads stayed on track and did not contain errors or misinformation. We already have many good teaching resources here at the PF, including all of the existing threads and the Library, etc.

When a thread idea like this has worked, it has been when a Mentor has lead the thread. That way, changes are easy to make and happen quickly. This is a thread that I lead in the EE forum for a while, for example:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=178516

But right now, there are no Mentors with the spare bandwidth to oversee a QOTD thread in the HH forums. If somebody frees up more, we may revisit the idea.

Thanks anyway for thinking of the idea. Thread closed.

FAQ: How about a QUESTION OF THE DAY?

1. What is a "Question of the Day"?

A "Question of the Day" is a prompt or thought-provoking question that is posed to individuals or a group of people on a daily basis. It is meant to stimulate critical thinking and encourage discussion and reflection.

2. Why is it important to have a "Question of the Day"?

Having a "Question of the Day" can help improve cognitive skills, such as problem solving and decision making. It can also promote creativity and spark curiosity, leading to a deeper understanding of a topic or issue.

3. Who can benefit from a "Question of the Day"?

Anyone can benefit from a "Question of the Day", regardless of age or occupation. It can be used in educational settings to engage students and promote active learning, or in a workplace to foster critical thinking and collaboration among employees.

4. How can I come up with interesting questions for a "Question of the Day"?

There are many ways to come up with interesting questions for a "Question of the Day". You can draw inspiration from current events, popular culture, or everyday observations. You can also involve others in the process by asking for suggestions or feedback.

5. Can a "Question of the Day" be used in different settings?

Yes, a "Question of the Day" can be used in various settings, such as classrooms, meetings, or social gatherings. It can be adapted to fit the specific needs and goals of the group using it, making it a versatile tool for promoting critical thinking and discussion.