How Black Holes Form: Neutron Collapse & Supernovae

In summary, black holes are formed when a massive star collapses and the matter becomes so dense that even the degeneracy pressure of neutrons is insufficient to stop the collapse. As the star explodes as a supernova, the collapsing material seems to become dimmer and increasingly red-shifted, eventually fading away. However, we do not actually see the formation of the event horizon as the light from the collapsing material takes longer and longer to reach an observer. The exact process of how black holes form is still a mystery and cannot be verified, but it is theorized that the matter is either infinitely compressed into a singularity or halted by degeneracy pressure of another phase of matter. The laws of physics as we know them also break down at
Arman777
Insights Author
Gold Member
I didnt know much about black holes and also astrophysics but I want to know some general information about how they form.Well As massive star collapses the matter get so densed, then I guess internal pressure gets so high and as star explodes as supernova (maybe I described it wrong), ın any case what happens in these last moments of star ? Neutrons collapse on each other ?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Drakkith said:
While most of the energy released during gravitational collapse is emitted very quickly, an outside observer does not actually see the end of this process. Even though the collapse takes a finite amount of time from the reference frame of infalling matter, a distant observer would see the infalling material slow and halt just above the event horizon, due to gravitational time dilation. Light from the collapsing material takes longer and longer to reach the observer, with the light emitted just before the event horizon forms delayed an infinite amount of time. Thus the external observer never sees the formation of the event horizon; instead, the collapsing material seems to become dimmer and increasingly red-shifted, eventually fading away.[88]
So we don't actually see a forming of a black hole and we never will, so Even ıf we look to sky searching for them we will see just a red-shifted dense light ,I didnt quite understand this part.

In my part it says that there could be , It says "even the degeneracy pressure of neutrons is insufficient to stop the collapse. " but what happens after that is a mystery I guess, I mean ıs there any equations or physical description that describes the situation.It collapses but what happens to neutrons or quarks in that process do we know that ?

Arman777 said:
I mean ıs there any equations or physical description that describes the situation.

None that can be verified.

Arman777 said:
.It collapses but what happens to neutrons or quarks in that process do we know that ?

We don't know. Perhaps the collapse is halted at some point by degeneracy pressure of another phase of matter or perhaps the matter is infinitely compressed into a singularity. We just don't know.

Drakkith said:
None that can be verified.
We don't know. Perhaps the collapse is halted at some point by degeneracy pressure of another phase of matter or perhaps the matter is infinitely compressed into a singularity. We just don't know.
I understand, thanks

Anything can become a black hole theoretically! If you was to take the mass of Mount Everest and compress that same mass into the size of a pin head that mass will become a singularity.

benhall96 said:
Anything can become a black hole theoretically! If you was to take the mass of Mount Everest and compress that same mass into the size of a pin head that mass will become a singularity.
Yeah I know, but for me the process is important, how?

Singularitys are one-dimensionalpoint which contains a huge mass in an infinitely small space, where density andgravity become infinite and space-time curves infinitely, and where the laws of physics as we know them cease to operate. As the eminent American physicist Kip Thorne describes it, it is "the point where all laws of physics break down". Overall we arnt sure how they form it's all theory, sorry buddy wish I could be more help

benhall96 said:
Singularitys are one-dimensionalpoint

Points are of zero dimensions. An object of 1 dimension is a line. :wink:

Arman777 said:
...what happens to neutrons or quarks in that process do we know that ?
No, other than string theories which cannot be tested, we have no clue at the moment.

1. How do black holes form?

Black holes form when a massive star reaches the end of its life and can no longer support itself against gravitational collapse. This can happen in two ways: neutron collapse or supernova explosion.

2. What is neutron collapse?

Neutron collapse occurs when a massive star exhausts its nuclear fuel and its core collapses under its own gravity. This causes the electrons and protons in the core to combine and form neutrons, resulting in a neutron star. If the mass of the star is large enough, the gravitational pull will continue to compress the star, eventually forming a black hole.

3. What is a supernova explosion?

A supernova explosion occurs when a massive star runs out of nuclear fuel and its core collapses, causing a massive explosion. This explosion can release more energy in a few seconds than our sun will in its entire lifetime. The remaining core of the star may then form a neutron star or a black hole.

4. What happens to matter that falls into a black hole?

Once matter crosses the event horizon of a black hole, it can no longer escape. This matter is pulled into the singularity at the center of the black hole, where it is compressed to infinite density and the laws of physics as we know them break down.

5. How do we observe black holes if they cannot emit light?

We can observe the effects of black holes on their surroundings, such as the gravitational pull on nearby stars and gas. We can also detect X-ray emissions from matter being pulled into a black hole. Additionally, scientists use mathematical models and simulations to study and understand the behavior of black holes.