How can I build an aerospike rocket engine with a three-component fuel mixture?

In summary, a high school student is trying to find an interesting project to do that is educational and doesn't involve a lot of boredom. He found a project that uses an aerospike engine and is wondering if anyone has any advice on how to start it or what materials to use.
DaemonStudent
Ok so I'm no grad student asking for help on a research project. I'm a senior in high school that is totally burnt out when it comes to the daily grind. I think I found a project, that hopefully is possible, and that will take me oodles of time and feed my hunger for education without a stupid non-stimulating curriculum. Stop me if I'm wrong or if I should do something else.

I want to do some rocket science. My friend and I enjoyed a fun project making rocket candy and model rockets last summer but I thought that it was a bit low on the satisfaction chain. I wanted a rocket that had a mixture of fuels. Something a tad more challenging. I heard aerospike was the way to go in this field over the bell nozle and it seemed pretty straight forward to turn on on a metal working lathe. That being said, how the hell does one actually start it up? What's the actually engine part to it? Get two pressurized cans of oxidizer and liquid fuel, cut them on and light it up? Can't be... Also in the recipe I heard about they talked about three fuel components: GOX, high grade kerosene and an acrylic rod (solid fuel?). I get the others just not the solid fuel part. Is that required?

Secondly, does anyone have some kind of base design to spin off of? Some people said to call up Boeing and be like "hey could I have plans for a missile engine?" Grad students must find other ways. I mean this project has been done before.

Last but not least, one person on youtube had a problem with their nozzle melting. He was using chromoly as his aerospike material. Would composite or ceramic work? Or would they light on fire? I was thinking about a solution and wanted to run it by some people. you know those liquid coolers for computer components? Do you think you could make a groove inside the center of the aerospike engine and CNC cut a heatsink kind of thing into it? Pump some of that cooling fluid through a loop from the aerospike heatsink up to the top of the rocket. It was just a thought. I made some silly illustrations and attached them. Maybe they'll help.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMAG0017.jpg
    IMAG0017.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 567
  • IMAG0018.jpg
    IMAG0018.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 527
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I guess I should start out by saying that no high school student should make a rocket without adult supervision.

Now, as for combustion. Yes, theoretically and realistically, combining an oxidizer a fuel and a spark will produce combustion.
The bell nozzle is used to maximize the thrust by directing the explosion in a useful direction.
In its simplest form, a pressurized oxidizer flowing over a solid fuel source and ignited will produce a rocket.
Just be very careful about your materials. Because a controlled burn is a rocket, but an uncontrolled burn is a bomb.

I understand that there are inherent risks when doing an explosive project... Are you saying that I should use a bell nozzle instead of the annular aerospike nozzle? Also does anyone have a good fuel combo? i.e. rubber and NO2 (like SpaceShipOne) or plexi and GOX (what I mentioned above). Should I use a hybrid engine or two gaseous fuel.

What is the Aerospike Engine Project?

The Aerospike Engine Project is an ongoing scientific research project that aims to develop and test a new type of rocket engine, known as an aerospike engine. This engine design is unique in that it uses a linear aerospike nozzle, which is more efficient and cost-effective than traditional bell-shaped nozzles.

How does the Aerospike Engine work?

The Aerospike Engine works by using a linear aerospike nozzle, which consists of a flat plate with a curved edge. The exhaust gases from the rocket expand along the curved edge, creating thrust. This design allows for a larger expansion area and more efficient exhaust flow, resulting in increased thrust and fuel efficiency.

What are the potential benefits of the Aerospike Engine?

The potential benefits of the Aerospike Engine include increased thrust and fuel efficiency, reduced weight and cost, and improved reliability. This engine design also has the potential to be used for both atmospheric and space flight, making it a versatile option for future space exploration missions.

What challenges does the Aerospike Engine Project face?

One of the main challenges of the Aerospike Engine Project is the complexity of the engine design. The linear aerospike nozzle requires precise engineering and testing to ensure optimal performance. Additionally, the project faces funding and resource limitations, as well as competition from other rocket engine designs.

What is the current status of the Aerospike Engine Project?

The Aerospike Engine Project is still in the research and development phase. Several prototypes have been tested in laboratory settings, but a full-scale engine has yet to be built and tested in flight. The project continues to receive funding and support from various organizations, and progress is being made towards a successful launch of the Aerospike Engine.