How can I connect an aux to a cd changer?

• Thread starter Eduard
  • Start date
In summary, the car radio does not pick up the auxiliary input if the CD changer plug is plugged in. The best way to test the connections is to use a DMM.
Eduard
Good day,

I found an old car radio (Panasonic) that has at the back a 8 pin din port and a rca input (cd-in) I want to connect aux to the rca's but it did not work. I've surfed the web and figured out that the cd changer plug must be power in order for the radio to pick up the rca's. I do not have any idea what to do. Any help?

Attachments

• IMG_20150203_194407.jpg
    IMG_20150203_194407.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 942
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi and welcome to PF.

If you search the web for a repair / user manual for the receiver, you may be lucky enough to find a circuit diagram which would tell you the pin connections of the connector. Failing that, you would need to look at the circuit board that the white connector fits and look for 'clues' as to what pin does what. It would be unlikely that anyone could tell you the right connections from that picture, alone, I'm afraid.

sophiecentaur said:
Hi and welcome to PF.

If you search the web for a repair / user manual for the receiver, you may be lucky enough to find a circuit diagram which would tell you the pin connections of the connector. Failing that, you would need to look at the circuit board that the white connector fits and look for 'clues' as to what pin does what. It would be unlikely that anyone could tell you the right connections from that picture, alone, I'm afraid.

Isn't there anyway I can test the pins? Sorry I do not really know a lot of these things.

Eduard said:
Isn't there anyway I can test the pins? Sorry I do not really know a lot of these things.
The problem is that, unless you know what you are doing, you could just damage the circuit - they are not designed for that sort of tampering. If you have a DMM you could test for continuity between the pins on the two connectors - but I don't think that would help you. You are interested in the connections between the Audio Socket and the actual circuit board. Mending stuff is much harder than understanding and building simple circuits. It's a knack and people earn their livings that way.

Mr Centaur is right. You need to find somebody who's done it before.

Crutchfield used to sell a Panasonic 8pin DIN adapter for Panasonic equipped volkswagens
but it was $49 and twice that will buy a whole radio
they might have the pinout , i'd email them the radio model number and see if they reply

but your best bet for getting help will be car audio forums.

i've no idea if this is close, take a look at the page and see if it's your model number.
http://elsegra.com/Car pinouts/CD CHANGERS.htmor this
https://forums.quattroworld.com/a6100/threads/3948.phtml
97%20Audi%20CD%20Conn.jpg
Train your search engine - it notes what links you visit, so as you frequent increasingly technical pages it'll offer you better ones.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How do I connect an aux to a cd changer?

To connect an aux to a cd changer, you will need an aux cable and a cd changer with an auxiliary input port. Plug one end of the aux cable into the headphone jack on your device, and the other end into the auxiliary input port on the cd changer. Make sure both devices are powered on and set to the correct input channel.

2. Can I connect my phone to a cd changer using an aux?

Yes, you can connect your phone to a cd changer using an aux cable as long as your phone has a headphone jack or an aux port. If your phone does not have these ports, you may need to use an adapter to connect the aux cable to your device.

3. What if my cd changer doesn't have an auxiliary input port?

If your cd changer does not have an auxiliary input port, you may still be able to connect an aux cable using an FM transmitter. This device will transmit the audio from your device to a specific FM frequency, which can then be picked up by your cd changer. Keep in mind that this method may result in lower sound quality.

4. Is it possible to connect multiple devices to a cd changer using an aux?

Yes, it is possible to connect multiple devices to a cd changer using an aux cable. However, most cd changers only have one auxiliary input port, so you will need a splitter to connect multiple devices. Keep in mind that this may also result in lower sound quality.

5. What if I don't have an aux cable?

If you don't have an aux cable, you can use a Bluetooth receiver to connect your device to a cd changer. This device will allow you to connect your phone or other device wirelessly to your cd changer. Keep in mind that this method may also result in lower sound quality compared to using an aux cable.