How can I construct the 4D real representation of SU(2)?

In summary, the element of SU(2) can be written as a 4x4 matrix acting on a complex vector, but not in the way that was initially expected. This is due to the factors of i and i^2 involved in the transformation. To obtain a representation of the group, the spin 3/2 representation can be used.
Dilatino
An element of [itex]SU(2)[/itex], such as for example the rotation around the x-axis generated by the first Pauli matrice can be written as

[tex]
U(x) = e^{ixT_1} = \left(
\begin{array}{cc}
\cos\frac{x}{2} & i\sin\frac{x}{2} \\
i\sin\frac{x}{2} & \cos\frac{x}{2} \\
\end{array}
\right)
=
\left(
\begin{array}{cccc}
c & 0 & 0 & -s \\
0 & c & s & 0 \\
0 & -s & c & 0 \\
s & 0 & 0 & c \\
\end{array}
\right)
[/tex]

I assume that here [itex]c = \cos\frac{x}{2}[/itex] and [itex]s = \sin\frac{x}{2}[/itex].The last 4 by 4 matrice is said to be constructed by treating the real and complex parts of each complex number as two real numbers. However, when doing this I would rather have expected that each complex number in the 2 by 2 matrice is expanded into its own 2 by 2 matrice, such that the resulting 4 by 4 matrice would schematically look like

[tex]
U(x) =
\left(
\begin{array}{cccc}
Re(U_{11}) & Im(U_{11}) & Re(U_{12}) & Im(U_{12}) \\
Im(U_{11}) & Re(U_{11}) & Im(U_{12}) & Re(U_{12}) \\
Re(U_{21}) & Im(U_{21}) & Re(U_{22}) & Im(U_{22}) \\
Im(U_{21}) & Re(U_{21}) & Im(U_{11}) & Re(U_{22}) \\
\end{array}
\right)
[/tex]

But this is obviously not how the 4 by 4 matrice is constructed. What am I missing or misunderstanding?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you want to let ##U## act on
$$ U \begin{pmatrix} a+ib \\ c+ id \end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix} a'+ib' \\ c'+ id' \end{pmatrix}$$
and then rewrite this as a 4x4 matrix acting on ##(a~b~c~d)^T##. The reason that ##U_{4\times 4}## does not take the 2nd form you wrote is because of the factors of ##i## and ##i^2##.

Note that this doesn't actually give what we would call a representation of the group, because, if we do the same mapping on the generators (Pauli matrices), the image matrices don't satisfy the SU(2) algebra. If you really want the 4-dimensional representation, then a good way to work it out is by noting that it is the spin 3/2 representation. Then we know how the ##J_\pm, J_z## act on the states ##|3/2,m\rangle## and we can work out appropriate matrices for them.

Related to How can I construct the 4D real representation of SU(2)?

1. How can I visualize a 4D representation of SU(2)?

To visualize a 4D representation of SU(2), you can use geometric objects such as quaternions, Clifford algebra, or spinors. These mathematical tools can help to represent the 4D space in a way that is more intuitive and easier to visualize.

2. What are the mathematical principles behind constructing a 4D representation of SU(2)?

The construction of a 4D representation of SU(2) is based on the principles of group theory, specifically the theory of Lie groups. This involves using matrices and transformations to represent the group and its elements in a higher dimensional space.

3. What is the significance of constructing a 4D representation of SU(2)?

Constructing a 4D representation of SU(2) allows us to better understand the group and its properties in a higher dimensional space. This can have applications in various fields such as quantum mechanics, particle physics, and crystallography.

4. Are there any real-life examples of 4D representations of SU(2)?

One real-life example of a 4D representation of SU(2) is the spin of particles in quantum mechanics. The spin is described by the SU(2) group and its 4D representation helps to explain the behavior of particles in a higher dimensional space.

5. How can I construct a 4D representation of SU(2) in my own research or experiments?

To construct a 4D representation of SU(2), you will need to have a strong understanding of group theory and its applications. You can also use software or programming languages such as Python or Mathematica to perform calculations and visualize the 4D representation. Consulting with experts in the field can also be helpful in constructing a 4D representation for your specific research or experiment.