How can i control magnet? on\off, base magnet?

In summary, you need to control two magnets so that they catch up and then the opposite happens and they push the water back.
sarizr
For certain system i have to control two magnets , to catch up when they are " on " , and the opposite , how i can do that ??

Engineering news on Phys.org
That's a little vague. Can you provide details?

The details of how you would turn them on and off are usually very dependent on the configuration of your device.

What you do mean "catch up"?

DaveC426913 said:
ally

thanks for replying first of all , well , i have to magnets , and between them i have water , when i turn on the magnet the attract to each other and push the water , after that i have to release them ,and get back to the first position , so i need to control them , i heard of something called base magnetic m any other idea ? Thanks

If you want to turn a magnet on and off, then you put an on/off switch in the circuit. Without knowing anything else about your setup, there is no way to answer your question any more intelligently.

Are you looking for a way that turns the magnets on and off automatically in a cycle? Under what circumstances do you want them to switch? Are you looking for a way to have them automatically switch off once they reach a certain position, you could have a simple arrangement where the circuit is broken once the magnet moves past a certain point. It could return using a spring, or even a ramp.

But really, I'm just guessing here. You must provide details about what you want your device to do, and how it's configured.

sarizr said:
i heard of something called base magnetic m
I am unable to parse that phrase. It doesn't even have a noun.

i thing your guess was right , i needed to use the magnetis once as a usal metal and once as magnet , so to of them can get attracted to each other , again my setup : i have an Cylinder , on the top there is a magnet , and in the Cylinder there is a free magnet + water, by turning ON the up magnet , the free magnet will push the water up (towards the upper magnet), after that i want to realease the magnet so i can do this action again and again , to do so i have to control the magnets , i hope i was much clearer !

sarizr said:
i thing your guess was right , i needed to use the magnetis once as a usal metal and once as magnet , so to of them can get attracted to each other , again my setup : i have an Cylinder , on the top there is a magnet , and in the Cylinder there is a free magnet + water, by turning ON the up magnet , the free magnet will push the water up (towards the upper magnet), after that i want to realease the magnet so i can do this action again and again , to do so i have to control the magnets , i hope i was much clearer !

Have a look at how Magnetic Bases work:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_base

They are mechanically actuated, and allow you to turn an external magnetic field on an off. Would some variation of that work for you?

Or are you going to use an electromagnet? That's easy to turn on and off with a switch, as Dave has said.

BTW, you probably just want to use a ferrous metal piston in the cylinder, instead of another magnet. Otherwise the piston magnet will stay stuck to the top Base Magnet material when the Base Magnet is turned off.

Unless you make the piston expose both the N & S poles of its magnet on its top, and you reverse the Base Magnet's polarization to repel the piston magnet. In that case, you have to have some way to keep the piston magnet oriented the same way, so it is not free to spin in the cylinder. Maybe make it rectangular?

Well a piston may be a good idea , and i can put a wood between the piston and the base magnet , so when i turn it off they won't stuck ! , yeah it may be rectangular , thanks ma.

Related to How can i control magnet? on\off, base magnet?

1. How do I turn a magnet on and off?

To turn a magnet on and off, you can use an electromagnet. By passing an electric current through a wire wrapped around a core material, the core becomes magnetized and can attract or repel other magnets. Turning off the electric current will demagnetize the core, turning off the magnet.

2. What materials can I use as a base for a magnet?

The most commonly used materials as a base for magnets are iron, nickel, and cobalt. These materials have magnetic properties and can be easily magnetized when in contact with a magnet. Other materials such as steel and some rare earth metals can also be used as a base for magnets.

3. Can I control the strength of a magnet?

Yes, the strength of a magnet can be controlled by changing the number of turns in the wire around the core of an electromagnet. Increasing the number of turns will increase the strength of the magnet, while decreasing the number of turns will weaken it.

4. Can I control the direction of a magnet's magnetic field?

Yes, the direction of a magnet's magnetic field can be controlled by changing the direction of the electric current passing through the wire of an electromagnet. The magnetic field will always be perpendicular to the direction of the electric current.

5. How can I make a magnet stronger?

To make a magnet stronger, you can increase the number of turns in the wire of an electromagnet, use a stronger core material, or place multiple magnets together in a particular arrangement to combine their magnetic fields. However, it is important to note that magnets have a maximum magnetic field strength, and attempting to make it stronger than its maximum will damage the magnet.