How Can I Create a Commission Curve in Crystal Reports?

• MHB
  • Thread starter andreasj
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curve
In summary, the user is attempting to create a commission curve for an interactive report in Crystal Reports. They are currently using a simple straight line diagonal formula, but would like to use a curve to adjust the intensity of the drop in commission based on the discount rate. They are considering using a 1-10 intensity curve, with 1 intensity resulting in a straight diagonal line and 10 intensity resulting in no commission with any discount. They are also looking into applying an operation to the discount portion, such as squaring it, to increase the impact of larger discounts.
andreasj
I'm trying to create a simple (well, not for me apparently) commission curve based on a few basic parameters. I can do the straight line approach, but I need a little more power. This is for an interactive report I am writing in Crystal Reports.

User currently enters Max Commission Rate and Max Discount Allowed.

Currently using the following formula:
MaxComm-(DiscountTaken/MaxDiscountAllowed*MaxComm=Commission Rate

It's a simple straight line diagonal formula, and it does work fine.

I would like to use a curve instead so I can alter the intensity of the drop in commission. The smaller the discount the less of an impact, and the larger the discount the more of an impact.

Assume my max commission is set to 10% and the max discount is set to 20%.

I was thinking of a 1-10 intensity curve.
1 intensity=straight 1-1 diagonal line. 50% discount=50% commission.
10 intensity=right angle, or no commission with any discount.
3 intensity might yield a 7% commission rate, rather than a 5% rate with the straight line calculation I'm using now.

I thought this was going to simple...

Mathematics news on Phys.org
andreasj said:
MaxComm-(DiscountTaken/MaxDiscountAllowed*MaxComm=Commission Rate
You are missing a ")". An obvious place to put that paren is just before the "=".
MaxComm-(DiscountTaken/MaxDiscountAllowed*MaxComm)=Commission Rate

By adding another paren you can apply some operation to the discount portion.
MaxComm-((DiscountTaken/MaxDiscountAllowed)*MaxComm)=Commission Rate

For instance you could use:
MaxComm-((DiscountTaken/MaxDiscountAllowed) 2 * MaxComm)=Commission Rate

Thereby squaring the effectiveness of giving a larger discount.

Cheers,
Tom

What is Commission Curve?

Commission Curve is a mathematical model used to analyze and predict the relationship between sales commission rates and sales performance. It helps companies determine the optimal commission rate for their sales team.

How is Commission Curve calculated?

Commission Curve is calculated using a combination of historical sales data and statistical analysis techniques such as regression analysis. This helps to identify the most effective commission rate for a given sales team.

Why is Commission Curve important?

Commission Curve is important because it helps companies optimize their sales commission structure, which can lead to increased sales performance and revenue. It also ensures that salespeople are fairly compensated for their efforts.

What factors can influence Commission Curve?

The main factors that can influence Commission Curve include the type of product or service being sold, the sales team's skill level, market conditions, and the company's overall sales strategy. Other factors such as competition and economic conditions may also play a role.

How frequently should Commission Curve be reviewed?

Commission Curve should be reviewed regularly, at least once a year, to ensure that it is still aligned with the company's goals and objectives. Any changes in market conditions or sales strategy may also warrant a review of Commission Curve to ensure its effectiveness.