How Can I Determine Elevation Based on Changes in Air Pressure?

In summary, the author is trying to find a way to calculate the height of an object from the air pressure. He finds a formula that solves the pressure, not the height. The author also has a method of solving the height if the pressure is known, but it is very slow.
TechSpec
Air pressure and height...

Ok, i have a hard time with the air pressure. I should do a calculation with the pressure and determine the height.

I have a pressure sensor which i use for pitot-tube sensing and i have a static sensor of the same kind to measure static reference pressure. I can determine speed with the given values of temperature and pressure differency. But i should also calculate a height where that pitot-tube sensor is. I have a pressure value from the ground level and i use that as a reference value for the height calculation. However, i did find some formulas to calculate the pressure from the given height, but not vice versa.
The basic principle would be like this:

Lets assume that I am in a certain level from a sealevel, that height is unknown but let's say its within few hundred meters.
I have the air pressure of 102kPa and i move upwards into a point where the air pressure is 101kPa, now the big question is, how much is the elevation in meters? The height from a sealevel is not important and not even known, only thing matters is how much i elevated from point A to B. Is that possible to determine with only temperature and a reference pressure and a current pressure which is altered by height? The accuracy also is not critical, let's say we don't take count the gravity changes or climate pressure changes during the measurements. Only temperature and pressure.

TechSpec

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Here's a two stage formula for pressure versus altitude (I can't remember what the default temperature at sea level was, maybe 70 degrees farenheight). There's a third stage for very high altitudes ( spacecraft and weather balloons would need this), but I didn't have this in my archive of various junk.

dAlt = altitude in feet.
dPressure is pressure in psi.

Code:
    if(dAlt < 36089.24)
        dPressure = 14.7*pow(1-6.8755856E-6*dAlt, 5.2558797);
    else
        dPressure = 14.7*.2233609*exp(-4.806346E-5*(dAlt-36089.24));

True, but...

That is the formula i found too, but it solves the pressure, not the height. And i have no method of opening that formula to solve the height with a given pressure..
so i made this really really really stupid method of doing it and it is highly simplified, but you can see the principle.for(i=0;i<counts;i++)
{
altitude=1; .......// start from the lowest alt
pressure=calculate_pressure(altitude);...// count the pressure
if(pressure == sensor_output)...// must have tolerance !
{
return altitude;
}
else
altitude++;

if (counts > 10000).......// too high altitude
return error;
}
It might work but its very slow method and i HATE to do it like that..
So if i could calculate it the correct way i would save a lot of time, and get the accuracy.

TechSpec

Related to How Can I Determine Elevation Based on Changes in Air Pressure?

1. What is air pressure?

Air pressure is the force exerted by the weight of air molecules in the Earth's atmosphere. It is measured in units of pressure, such as pounds per square inch (psi) or millibars (mb).

2. How does air pressure change with height?

As you go higher in the atmosphere, the air pressure decreases due to the decrease in the number of air molecules above. This is because the weight of the air above is no longer pressing down as much. Therefore, air pressure is lower at higher altitudes.

3. What instrument is used to measure air pressure?

An instrument called a barometer is used to measure air pressure. There are two types of barometers: mercury barometers and aneroid barometers. Mercury barometers use a column of mercury to measure air pressure, while aneroid barometers use a flexible metal chamber.

4. How does air pressure affect weather?

Air pressure plays a crucial role in determining weather patterns. High air pressure usually brings clear and dry weather, while low air pressure often brings cloudy and rainy weather. Changes in air pressure can also indicate the movement of weather systems.

5. Can air pressure vary at the same height?

Yes, air pressure can vary at the same height due to changes in temperature and humidity. Warmer air is less dense and therefore exerts less pressure, while cooler air is more dense and exerts more pressure. Humidity can also affect air pressure as water vapor molecules displace air molecules. These variations in temperature and humidity can cause fluctuations in air pressure at the same height.