How can I determine the IR frequency?

In summary, Zachary is looking for information on the IR frequency of two IR Text Messengers. To determine the frequency, he can use a spectrograph or look for the cheapest IR diodes in a parts catalogue. The frequency will likely be around 905nm, but the wavelength control is poor so it could be anywhere between 890-950nm. The data frequency that the code is sent at is usually around 100-1000 bits/second. However, the frequency of light may not be the key to intercepting the messages, as the devices may use encryption.
shlomo127
Hey, I found this forum on good, so I apoligize for my lack of knowledge, but I am trying to determine the IR frequency of these two IR Text Messengers.
Theyre designed to only send messages to one another, so is there any way I could test to discover their frequency? Would it be written anywhere on the inside of the device, and if so where and how.
Thanks so much, and I apoligize if i posted this in the wrong place.
Zachary

Physics news on Phys.org
To measure the wavelength/frequency of the light you would need a spectrograph.
In practice the easier way is to look for the cheapest IR diodes in a parts catalogue, that's what they will be using. Generally around 905nm but the wavelength control of these parts is poor so the output will be somewhere around 890-950nm

Sorry to ask a stupid question, but what's that in Hurtz?

About 10^16 hz, you don't normally use frequency for visible wavelengths.
Do you mean the data frequency that the code is sent at rather than the frequcy of the light?
Thats usually around 100-1000 bits/second, you could get a photodiode and hook it upto an oscillopscope.

Oh, ok.
Truthfully I am not 100% sure which I want, but ill forward it to my Professor.
Thanks so much!
Zachary

You should also be aware that, if the two devices are designed to only send messages to each other, then the frequency of light being used may not be the key you're looking for. In class, we built IR com-units that sent data in pulses. The frequenc of the light was irrelevant; the receiver was tuned to look for a specific frequency of pulse.

Ya. if you're thinking you can 'intercept' transmission or something that's not what you're looking for at all (however, you may be able to jam transmission but just spamming IR in the approximate frequency). To 'intercept' you're talking about cryptography. (Since packets between the two things are encrypted)

1. How does a molecule's structure affect its IR frequency?

The structure of a molecule affects its IR frequency because the positions of the atoms and their bonds determine the distribution of charge and the strength of the bonds. Different types of bonds, such as single, double, or triple bonds, have unique vibrational frequencies that can be detected by IR spectroscopy.

2. What factors can cause variations in IR frequencies?

There are several factors that can cause variations in IR frequencies, such as the strength of the bonds, the masses of the atoms, the length of the bonds, and the presence of neighboring atoms. Additionally, the environment or surrounding molecules can also affect the IR frequency of a molecule.

3. How can I determine the IR frequency of a specific bond in a molecule?

To determine the IR frequency of a specific bond in a molecule, you can use IR spectroscopy. This technique involves passing infrared light through a sample and measuring the amount of light absorbed by the sample. The absorbed frequencies correspond to the vibrational frequencies of the bonds in the molecule, allowing you to identify the specific bonds present.

4. What units are used to measure IR frequency?

IR frequencies are typically measured in units of wavenumbers, which are the reciprocal of wavelength and are commonly denoted as cm^-1. This unit is used because it is directly proportional to energy and allows for easy comparison of IR spectra between different molecules.

5. How can I use IR frequency to identify unknown compounds?

IR spectroscopy is commonly used to identify unknown compounds by comparing the IR spectra of the unknown sample to a database of known spectra. Each molecule has a unique IR spectrum, making it possible to identify the functional groups and bonds present in an unknown compound based on its IR frequencies.