How can I find the force needed for constant velocity with known variables?

In summary: The x-components give F = ‒Fx → F = 0,8mg/0,65 = 1,23mgIn summary, to find the force F to keep the velocity constant, we can use vector decomposition to find the normal force N and the friction force Ff. Then, using the equations Fx = 0,8|F| and Fy = -0,6|F|, we can find the magnitude of F. Finally, using the equation N = 1,4mg, we can find the magnitude of F in terms of mg.
flanders

Homework Statement

Hi. My task is to find the Force F, so that velocity is constant.

I know that the velocity is constant, therefore the sum of all forces must be zero!

On the image I have used vector decomposition (the black lines). The orange ones are the vectors.

I know that the angle is 36,9 degrees. (the one marked with a half a circle).

I also know that the friction number is 0,25.

Explanation of the attached image:

G = Gravity

N = Normal Force

Ff = Friction

F = The force I must find

Homework Equations

[tex]Gx=0,6mg[/tex]
[tex]Gy=0,8mg[/tex]

[tex]Fx=0,8ma[/tex]
[tex]Fy=0,6ma[/tex]

[tex]\mu \; =\; 0.25[/tex]

[tex]N = Gy + Fy[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried to find N by using this formula:

[tex]\mu \; =\; \frac{Ff}{N}[/tex]

Then I thought that I could find Fy and Fx and use Phytagoras to find F. But my idea doesn't work (at least not the way I did it).

I don't know how to think to solve this one... The mass is unknown and frustrates me alot. Can anyone give me a tip?

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 342
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi flanders! :wink:

have you tried drawing a vector triangle ?

but if you don't know how to do that, then start the equations with F = ma in the normal direction …

you know that a = 0, so N = … ? :smile:

(and call the mass "m" … it'll cancel out in the end anyway)

I got curious in how you do the vector triangle? You just put the vectors one after another and then you'll find out that you get back to the starting point - therefore the velocity must be constant? And what will the different angles look like? Hm... I'm sorry, but I don't understand that much...

flanders said:
I got curious in how you do the vector triangle? You just put the vectors one after another and then you'll find out that you get back to the starting point -

yes, you have (in this case) a right-angled triangle, with sides N mg and (F minus friction) …

it works because you know the acceleration is zero, so the forces must add to zero, and forces add like vectors (head-to-tail), so the triangle must be closed

since you know two angles and one side (mg), you can immediately find the other two sides … then use friction = µN to subtract the friction from (F minus friciton) to get F :smile:

Great! Thank you - I think I understood a little bit more! :)

Now I used tan to find F, and then Sin to find N. As a result I got F = 4,30m.

Is it possible to do something with the m..? I don't think we are able to find it with that sort of information we've got?

hi flanders! :smile:

(just got up :zzz: …)
flanders said:
Now I used tan to find F, and then Sin to find N. As a result I got F = 4,30m.

i don't understand that :confused:
Is it possible to do something with the m..? I don't think we are able to find it with that sort of information we've got?

no, you're right …

the question asks for the applied force F, and for that we do need to know m :redface:

Adding all the "main" vectors gives us a triangle with angles of 90, 36.9 and 53.1 degrees.

As seen on the drawed picture attached, I have:

[TEX]N\; =\; \frac{G}{\mbox{C}os\left( 36.9 \right)}\; =\; 1.25G[/TEX]

[tex]F\; =\; N\cdot \sin \; \left( 36.9 \right)\; =\; 1.25G\cdot \sin \; \left( 36.9 \right)\; =\; 0.75G[/tex]

Then I find F(Friction):

Ff = 0.25*1.25G = 0.313G

F-Ffriction will then be:

[tex]F\; =\; F-Ffriction\; =\; 0.75G\; -\; 0.313G\; =\; 0.46G[/tex]

/Flanders

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 354
Last edited:
ah, but isn't F supposed to be along the slope?

if so, the triangle should show F at an angle, with the right-angle at top-left instead of top-right :wink:

I'm sorry - I didn't specify the direction of the force, but we're supposed to find the horizontal force.

Thank you very much, it was helpfull :)

flanders said:
I'm sorry - I didn't specify the direction of the force, but we're supposed to find the horizontal force.

hold it!

i don't think the vector triangle method works for forces in four different directions …

(i assumed there were only three different directions, so we could lump F and friction together, to make a triangle, and then subtract the friction)

you can draw a vector quadrilateral, and it will work (you'll have to draw the friction equal to µ times N), or it might be just as easy to use x and y components

Hey Tiny-Tim!

I've tried to set up two equations (X and Y-direction) and to solve it without results :(.

Could you please explain the quadrilateral-method in short terms? I would really appreciate it =).

It should also be said, that the answer is to be given in m*g. For instance 0.8mg.

The force is still horizontal.

Update: I got an answer now... Tried to set up the equations one more time and found that F = 0.8G/0.65, which is 1.23G. It sounds right, doesn't it?

Last edited:
flanders said:

Homework Statement

Hi. My task is to find the Force F, so that velocity is constant.

I know that the velocity is constant, therefore the sum of all forces must be zero!

On the image I have used vector decomposition (the black lines). The orange ones are the vectors.

I know that the angle is 36,9 degrees. (the one marked with a half a circle).

I also know that the friction number is 0,25.

Explanation of the attached image:

G = Gravity

N = Normal Force

Ff = Friction

F = The force I must find

Homework Equations

[tex]Gx=0,6mg[/tex]
[tex]Gy=0,8mg[/tex]

[tex]Fx=0,8ma[/tex]
[tex]Fy=0,6ma[/tex]

[tex]\mu \; =\; 0.25[/tex]

[tex]N = Gy + Fy[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried to find N by using this formula:

[tex]\mu \; =\; \frac{Ff}{N}[/tex]

Then I thought that I could find Fy and Fx and use Pythagoras to find F. But my idea doesn't work (at least not the way I did it).

I don't know how to think to solve this one... The mass is unknown and frustrates me alot. Can anyone give me a tip?
The following two equations can't be correct. If a=0, then F=0.
[tex]F_x=0,8ma[/tex]
[tex]F_y=0,6ma[/tex]

They should be:
[tex]F_x=0,8|\vec{F}|[/tex]
[tex]F_y=-0,6|\vec{F}|[/tex]

Be careful of signs: I would write: Gx = ‒0,6mg and Gy = ‒0,8mg

Then the y-components give N = ‒Gy‒Fy → N = 0,8mg + 0,6|F| .

The x-components give: Fx+Gx+Ff=0 → 0,8|F|‒0,6mg‒μN=0.

Two equations in three unknowns.

Find F in terms of mass m.

Last edited:
flanders said:
Could you please explain the quadrilateral-method in short terms? I would really appreciate it =).

I think we'd better make sure you can do it the usual way first (I'll explain the quadrilateral later) …
I've tried to set up two equations (X and Y-direction) and to solve it without results :(.

Show us your equations. :smile:

SammyS: I have the same results as you have =). I have written N=Gy+Fy, so that they will have their "correct" direction... I think!

tiny-tim: I have done it the same way as SammyS:
Then the y-components give N = ‒Gy‒Fy → N = 0,8mg + 0,6|F| .

The x-components give: Fx+Gx+Ff=0 → 0,8|F|‒0,6mg‒μN=0.

I did then put N into the x-equation:

0.8F-0.6mg-0.25(0.8mg+0.6F)=0

calculate and it would be:

0.8F-0.6mg-0.2mg-0.15F=0

F = (0.8mg)/0.65

Does it look right to you?

Thanks for the help so far! I'm (hopefully!) starting to see things clearer!

Yes, that looks good! :smile:

Now try drawing a quadrilateral with those magnitudes, and see if it joins up. :wink:

(that's a good way of checking the answer!)

Related to How can I find the force needed for constant velocity with known variables?

1. What is constant velocity?

Constant velocity is the rate at which an object moves in a straight line without changing its speed or direction. It can also be described as the object's average speed over a specific period of time.

2. What is Newton's first law of motion?

Newton's first law of motion, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object will remain at rest or in constant motion in a straight line unless acted upon by an external force. This means that an object will not change its velocity unless a force is applied to it.

3. How is constant velocity related to Newton's first law?

Constant velocity is a result of Newton's first law of motion. In order for an object to maintain a constant velocity, there must be no net force acting on it. This is because according to Newton's first law, an object will continue in its current state of motion unless acted upon by a force.

4. Can an object have a constant velocity and still be accelerating?

No, an object cannot have a constant velocity and still be accelerating. Acceleration is defined as a change in velocity, meaning that if an object is accelerating, its velocity is changing. In order for an object to have a constant velocity, its speed and direction must remain the same.

5. How is constant velocity different from constant speed?

Constant velocity and constant speed are often used interchangeably, but they are not the same thing. Constant speed refers to an object's rate of motion, while constant velocity refers to both the object's speed and direction. This means that an object can have a constant speed but not a constant velocity if its direction is changing.