How can I find the value of n when given a polynomial equation?

  • Thread starter Thread starter lioric
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Value
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 2K views
lioric
Messages
335
Reaction score
26

Homework Statement


15343398957956967716792335949451.jpg

How do I find the value of n?

Homework Equations


I know that when it crosses x-axis y = 0
X3 - X2 - 20 =0
But don't know how to solve it from here

The Attempt at a Solution


The marking scheme says 3.0 or 3.1
I couldn't get the answer even by substituting
I know I'm doing something stupid
 
Attachments
  • 15343398957956967716792335949451.jpg
    15343398957956967716792335949451.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 831
Physics news on Phys.org
The answer was there in the previous part
Thank you
 
Mark44 said:
@lioric, what's the complete problem? In the image you posted, there is no "n".
Look closer.

upload_2018-8-15_12-47-22.png

Squint like Clint
 
Attachments
  • upload_2018-8-15_12-47-22.png
    upload_2018-8-15_12-47-22.png
    4.8 KB · Views: 941
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: berkeman
I was already squinting, looking at that unclear and incomplete image. By "there is no n" I meant that the equation doesn't involve n.
 
phinds said:
Look closer.

View attachment 229330
Squint like Clint
When I looked at it the first time (on my phone) there was no n. When I looked at it later (on my laptop) there was, magically, an n.
 
If the answer is desired as a decimal, it seems that it is an infinite decimal, hence cannot be written down exactly. Thus the simplest way to approximate this decimal to a few places is to just plug in values. when x=2, we get 8 - 4 -20 = -16. when x=3 we get 27 - 9 -20 = -2. so we re getting closer. when x = 4 we get 64 - 16 - 20 = 28, so we are getting further away. hence the answer lies between 3 and 4, so next try 3.1 and then 3.2, etc..., and stop when you get a positive result. then if say 3.1 gives a negative result and 3.2 gives a positive result, you can choose the one that gives a result closer to zero, as a first decimal place approximation.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Charles Link
mathwonk said:
If the answer is desired as a decimal, it seems that it is an infinite decimal, hence cannot be written down exactly.

Just be careful with your language. 0.33333333333333333333... (to infinity) is also an infinite decimal, but can be written exactly as 1/3.