How can I find the value of n when given a polynomial equation?

• Thread starter lioric
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Value
In summary, the conversation is about finding the value of n in a cubic equation and the difficulty of solving it. The suggestion to google for a solution is given and the conversation progresses to discussing approximating the answer using different values of x.
lioric

Homework Statement

15343398957956967716792335949451.jpg

How do I find the value of n?

Homework Equations

I know that when it crosses x-axis y = 0
X3 - X2 - 20 =0
But don't know how to solve it from here

The Attempt at a Solution

The marking scheme says 3.0 or 3.1
I couldn't get the answer even by substituting
I know I'm doing something stupid

Attachments

• 15343398957956967716792335949451.jpg
    15343398957956967716792335949451.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 707
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you googled "how to solve a cubic equation" ?

The answer was there in the previous part
Thank you

Mark44 said:
@lioric, what's the complete problem? In the image you posted, there is no "n".
Look closer.

upload_2018-8-15_12-47-22.png

Squint like Clint

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-15_12-47-22.png
    upload_2018-8-15_12-47-22.png
    4.8 KB · Views: 794
Last edited:
Likes berkeman
I was already squinting, looking at that unclear and incomplete image. By "there is no n" I meant that the equation doesn't involve n.

phinds said:
Look closer.

View attachment 229330
Squint like Clint
When I looked at it the first time (on my phone) there was no n. When I looked at it later (on my laptop) there was, magically, an n.

If the answer is desired as a decimal, it seems that it is an infinite decimal, hence cannot be written down exactly. Thus the simplest way to approximate this decimal to a few places is to just plug in values. when x=2, we get 8 - 4 -20 = -16. when x=3 we get 27 - 9 -20 = -2. so we re getting closer. when x = 4 we get 64 - 16 - 20 = 28, so we are getting further away. hence the answer lies between 3 and 4, so next try 3.1 and then 3.2, etc..., and stop when you get a positive result. then if say 3.1 gives a negative result and 3.2 gives a positive result, you can choose the one that gives a result closer to zero, as a first decimal place approximation.

Likes Charles Link
mathwonk said:
If the answer is desired as a decimal, it seems that it is an infinite decimal, hence cannot be written down exactly.

Just be careful with your language. 0.33333333333333333333... (to infinity) is also an infinite decimal, but can be written exactly as 1/3.

Related to How can I find the value of n when given a polynomial equation?

1. How do I determine the value of n using a formula or equation?

One way to find the value of n is by using a specific formula or equation that involves n. You can plug in the known values for the other variables and then solve for n using algebraic methods.

2. Can I use trial and error to find the value of n?

Yes, trial and error can be a useful method for finding the value of n. By trying different values for n and seeing which one satisfies the given conditions, you can eventually narrow down the possible values and determine the exact value of n.

3. What role does experimentation play in finding the value of n?

Experimentation is a crucial part of the scientific process, and it can also be used to find the value of n. By conducting experiments and collecting data, you can analyze the results to determine the value of n and how it affects the outcome.

4. Are there any online tools or resources for finding the value of n?

Yes, there are many online calculators and tools that can help you find the value of n. These tools can be especially useful for more complex equations or formulas that involve n.

5. How do I know if the value of n that I have found is accurate?

To ensure the accuracy of your value of n, it is important to double-check your calculations and make sure all the variables and equations are correct. You can also compare your results with other sources or conduct further experimentation to confirm the value of n.