How can I improve my DIY induction heater?

In summary: I have a small radiator I can use to cool it off. I am very interested in seeing how well it does in a continuous duty environment. In summary, the author has created a DIY induction heater that can generate up to 2kw of power and is close to 90% efficient. He has also put together a tutorial demonstrating the heater's capabilities. He plans on using it to melt steel and is interested in seeing how it performs in a continuous duty environment.
imsmooth
I stumbled upon this forum and hope to read up on many threads. I have actually put together a tutorial on a DIY induction heater. I am hoping that I can get some feedback on it, and if there any areas I can explain more or better.

The link is http://www.mindchallenger.com/inductionheater" .

I've gotten it up to 2kw input, and the inverter is close to 90% efficient getting the power to the coupling transformer. I do not know the efficiency of the resonant tank.

Here is a http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyG0Ri0dqI4"to my video showing it melting a 1/2" steel nut.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
imsmooth said:
I stumbled upon this forum and hope to read up on many threads. I have actually put together a tutorial on a DIY induction heater. I am hoping that I can get some feedback on it, and if there any areas I can explain more or better.

The link is http://www.mindchallenger.com/inductionheater" .

I've gotten it up to 2kw input, and the inverter is close to 90% efficient getting the power to the coupling transformer. I do not know the efficiency of the resonant tank.

Here is a http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyG0Ri0dqI4"to my video showing it melting a 1/2" steel nut.

Welcome to the PF. Pretty neat heater! Nice clean construction techniques as well. Do you have any particular applications in mind for it, or is it mostly a learning exercise?

Last edited by a moderator:
I did it, like many of my hobby project, for the sake of saying I did it. I am waiting to get a crucible in order to liquify some steel, but I do not plan on any casting. I am going to try and press the mosfets higher and see how much power I can put into them. I have 40A line I can use. Right now my limitation is the 20A breaker on my variac. I don't just want to go full power without a means of slowly increasing it. It is quite impressive to see it work.

Water cooling is a must at these power levels or the conducted heat starts to melt the transformer wires.

Related to How can I improve my DIY induction heater?

1. What is an induction heater?

An induction heater is a type of heating device that uses electromagnetic induction to heat up a conductive material. It works by creating a magnetic field that induces eddy currents in the material, causing it to heat up without direct contact with a heating element.

2. How does an induction heater work?

An induction heater consists of an AC power source, a coil, and a workpiece. The AC power source sends an alternating current through the coil, creating a magnetic field. When the workpiece is placed within the magnetic field, the magnetic field induces eddy currents in the material, causing it to heat up.

3. What materials can be heated with an induction heater?

Induction heaters can heat up a wide range of conductive materials, including metals such as iron, steel, copper, and aluminum. However, non-metallic materials such as plastics and ceramics cannot be heated using an induction heater.

4. What are the advantages of using an induction heater?

There are several advantages of using an induction heater, including faster and more efficient heating, precise and consistent temperature control, and the ability to heat specific areas of a material without affecting the rest of it. Induction heaters also do not produce open flames or emit harmful fumes, making them safer to use.

5. Can I build my own induction heater?

Yes, it is possible to build your own induction heater using readily available materials and basic electronics knowledge. However, it is important to note that working with electricity can be dangerous, and it is recommended to have proper knowledge and safety precautions in place before attempting to build an induction heater.