How Can I Lift and Move a 400-Pound Load Without Wheels?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
rgb95
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hi I'm working on a project where I would need to lift about 400 pounds about 1 inch off the ground and keep the momentum in order to manually move it. I thought about using four fans with a skit on each corner facing downward to allow for upward movement, but I'm not sure how much power I would need the fan to be at or what calculations I would need to figure out the specifications. I also thought of using four air compressors but was unsure if I could keep the continuous air flow. Any suggestions would be extremely helpful! Thank you!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
rgb95 said:
Hi I'm working on a project where I would need to lift about 400 pounds about 1 inch off the ground and keep the momentum in order to manually move it. I thought about using four fans with a skit on each corner facing downward to allow for upward movement, but I'm not sure how much power I would need the fan to be at or what calculations I would need to figure out the specifications. I also thought of using four air compressors but was unsure if I could keep the continuous air flow. Any suggestions would be extremely helpful! Thank you!

Welcome to the PF.

How come you don't just use 4 gimbaled wheels?
 
berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

How come you don't just use 4 gimbaled wheels?

I'm working on a sanitary surface so wheels will ruin the integrity of the surface. That was my first thought as well.
 
rgb95 said:
I'm working on a sanitary surface so wheels will ruin the integrity of the surface. That was my first thought as well.

Well blowing high-velocity air at the surface may also contaminate it, especially as the air will be getting pulled past motors, etc.

Wheels can be cleaned fairly well -- this is done in medical operating rooms, for example. Perhaps the cart could even clean up after itself, with a disinfectant system trailing behind it...