Can I Achieve a Mirror Finish on Pure Iridium? Share Your Tips!

• Thread starter MSparks6
  • Start date
In summary, silicon carbide can be used to polish iridium. A rock tumbler can be used to do this without the need for special supplies.
MSparks6
Looking to polish some pure elemental iridium... I think hot hydrochloric acid might work but have yet to try it. Anyone know for sure how to do this?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I've scoured the internet for this information, and I've read the article you provided. I guess I should've added that I'm not a chemist nor do I have a lab. Just a hobbyist. I'm looking for a method that is fairy simple and can be done with items available to the average person.

Silicon Carbide is hard enough to grind Iridium. On the Mohs hardness scale Talc is 1, Diamond is 10, Iridium is 6.5, Silicon Carbide is 9
Hardware stores often sell sheets of Silicon Carbide "sand paper" in grits between 100 and 600 or finer. Bulk grit down to insanely fine stuff can be found from suppliers for amateur telescope making. Try a Google search for Mirror Grinding Supplies

Last edited:
Likes HAYAO
I do not know what the shape and size of your material is, however, you might like to , generally, look into the subject of rock tumblers.

Rock tumblers (particularly the vibratory types that don't technically 'tumble' the material) can be used for many purposes, depending on how and with what they are filled. One such application is polishing brass pistol and rifle cartridges. These are popular with people who reload their own ammunition. There is a ton of info on the net on this topic... (I have been away from it for a bit, so my references likely lead to a bunch of dead ends) .. just fire up your favorite search engine and search for _rock tumbler_ and maybe add things like metal polishing, abrasives, polishing agents, etc as additional search terms.

Also, there are some fairly pricey hobbyist and semi-pro rock tumblers for sale on the net, but I recall that Harbor Freight has several models and sizes that are very reasonably priced and are 'rough and ready' but you will have to supply your own abrasives/materials/shot/polishes. Check it out.

Good luck,

diogenesNY

I thought I'd share a photo of pure iridium polished to a mirror finish. I don't know the process but clearly it's possible. If I had to guess, it was done with the aid of a flat lapping machine.
IMG_20171214_213156.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20171214_213156.jpg
    IMG_20171214_213156.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 728

1. How do I prepare the surface of iridium for polishing?

The first step in polishing iridium is to thoroughly clean the surface. This can be done by wiping the surface with a clean cloth and a small amount of acetone or isopropyl alcohol to remove any oils or residue. Then, rinse with water and dry with a lint-free cloth.

2. What type of abrasive should I use for polishing iridium?

Iridium is a very hard metal, so a fine abrasive compound such as diamond paste or alumina powder is recommended. These abrasives can be applied to a polishing cloth or pad.

3. How do I apply the abrasive to the iridium surface?

Apply a small amount of the chosen abrasive to the polishing cloth or pad. Then, using light pressure, rub the abrasive in a circular motion over the surface of the iridium. Be sure to cover the entire surface evenly.

4. What is the best way to polish iridium?

The best way to polish iridium is to use a series of increasingly fine abrasives. Start with a coarse abrasive and gradually move to finer abrasives until the desired level of polish is achieved. It is also important to maintain consistent pressure and motion during polishing.

5. How can I achieve a mirror-like finish on iridium?

To achieve a mirror-like finish on iridium, it is important to use a very fine abrasive and apply it with a gentle touch. The final step should be a buffing with a soft, clean cloth to remove any remaining abrasives and bring out the shine of the metal.