How can I prepare for the Physics GRE without a formal physics background?

In summary, the best way for a medical doctor to study physics is to first build a strong foundation in mathematics and then focus on the important topics in physics, such as classical mechanics and quantum mechanics, before practicing problem solving and taking the Physics GRE.
isalloum4
Hi all,
I have a bit unusual story but I am serious about it and I would much appreciate any piece of advice.
I am a medical doctor (28 yrs old) and I want to study physics (theoretical more than applied).
I always wanted to study physics and had tremendous passion toward it and felt some degree of natural talent in it, But, my circumstances in my country didn't allow me to do so and I ended up doing medicine. Now I am about to finish my training and start working. I will have some free time during work. I am seriously determinant to study physics as I have the willing and the bit better circumstances. I had advanced classes in math and physics while in hight school. I started reading calculus from Apostol.
my question is: I would love that you give me a logical sequence to study the required materials to be able to study, by my own, the fundamental courses that a physics-major undergrad student should study before taking the "physics GRE" since I am planning to be well prepared in the foundations and be able to score high in physics GRE so I can apply to graduate school thereafter.
Any kind of advice or guidance will be much appreciated.
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
very much for your time. The best way to approach studying physics is to get a good foundation in mathematics first. This means taking courses in calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, and other related topics. Once you have a strong mathematical background, it will be much easier to learn the physics concepts. Additionally, I suggest getting acquainted with some of the standard textbooks used in physics courses, such as those from Halliday and Resnick, or Tipler and Mosca. After that, you should focus on studying the classical mechanics topics, such as Newton's laws, conservation laws, and so on. Once you have a good grasp of these topics, you should move on to more advanced topics, such as quantum mechanics, thermodynamics, and special relativity. Finally, you should practice problem solving and take practice exams to prepare for the Physics GRE.

Related to How can I prepare for the Physics GRE without a formal physics background?

1. What is the best way to start learning physics?

The best way to start learning physics is by developing a strong foundation in mathematics and basic concepts of physics, such as mechanics and thermodynamics. It is important to have a good understanding of algebra, geometry, and calculus before diving into more complex physics topics.

2. Is it necessary to have a strong math background to pursue physics?

Yes, a strong math background is crucial for a successful pursuit of physics. Most concepts in physics are described and analyzed using mathematical equations, and it is important to have a good understanding of these equations to fully comprehend the subject.

3. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in physics?

One of the best ways to improve problem-solving skills in physics is by practicing regularly. Attempting a variety of problems and seeking help from peers or instructors when needed can also be beneficial. Additionally, breaking down complex problems into smaller, more manageable parts can help make problem-solving more approachable.

4. What resources are available for learning physics?

There are many resources available for learning physics, including textbooks, online lectures and courses, video tutorials, and practice problems. It is also helpful to join study groups or participate in online forums to discuss concepts and solve problems with others.

5. What are some tips for succeeding in physics courses?

Some tips for succeeding in physics courses include attending lectures and taking good notes, practicing regularly and seeking help when needed, and actively participating in class discussions and activities. It is also important to stay organized and manage your time effectively to balance your coursework with other responsibilities.