How Can I Prove Properties of Matrix Multiplication?

In summary, the author is having trouble with the notation used in this proof and is looking for a simpler way to do it. The author shows how to prove a matrix identity using the Einstein summation convention.
Saladsamurai
...involving Matrix Multiplication... I think it is mainly the notation that is killing me here...but it is killing me.

Problem: Check parts (2) and (3) of theorem (1.3.18) which says:
1. A(BC)=(AB)C
2. A(B+C)=AB+AC
3. (A+B)C=AC+BC

The author led the way on part one with this proof: Let AB=D, BC=G,
(AB)C=F, and A(BC)=H
We must show that F=H.
[tex]d_{ik}=\sum_ja_{ij}b_{jk}[/tex] and [tex]g_{jl}=\sum_kb_{jk}c_{kl}.[/tex]

Hence [tex]f_{il}=\sum_kd_{ik}c_{kl}=\sum_k(\sum_ja_{ij}b_{jk})c_{kl}=(\sum_k\sum_j)a_{ij}b_{jk}c_{kl}[/tex]
=[tex]\sum_ja_{ij}(\sum_kb_{jk}c_{kl})=\sum_ja_{ij}g_{jl}=h_{il}[/tex]

I think I follow that.

It says to use the definition of matrix multiplication as a hint.

Maybe someone could start me off; I am teaching myself this, so it is slow going

Casey

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
well the definition of multiplication is the product BA=C is
[tex]c_{ij}=\sum^n_{k=1}b_{ik}a_{kj},[/tex] [tex]i=1,\cdots,m[/tex] [tex]j=1,\cdots,p[/tex]

Well, I think all this D,G,F,H stuff is awfully confusing and obscures the main point. I would prove (1) like this (where I use the Einstein convention that repeated indices are summed, and the summation signs omitted):
[tex][A(BC)]_{ij} = A_{ik}(BC)_{kj} = A_{ik}(B_{kn}C_{nj}) = A_{ik}B_{kn}C_{nj} = (A_{ik}B_{kn})C_{nj} = (AB)_{in}C_{nj} = [(AB)C]_{ij}[/tex]

And your statement of (2) is wrong. Can you see what it should be?

2. A(B+C)=AB+BC should read A(B+C) = AB + AC

and elementwise, one has aik(bkj + ckj)

Last edited:
Avodyne said:
Well, I think all this D,G,F,H stuff is awfully confusing and obscures the main point. I would prove (1) like this (where I use the Einstein convention that repeated indices are summed, and the summation signs omitted):
[tex][A(BC)]_{ij} = A_{ik}(BC)_{kj} = A_{ik}(B_{kn}C_{nj}) = A_{ik}B_{kn}C_{nj} = (A_{ik}B_{kn})C_{nj} = (AB)_{in}C_{nj} = [(AB)C]_{ij}[/tex]

And your statement of (2) is wrong. Can you see what it should be?
thanks...typo. edited to correct. Thanks for the ideas, but I would like to stick with the format of the text. I do not know what the Einstein convention is...this is the 1st chapter of a text on the algebra of Matrices and Linear Algebra.

Thanks,
Casey

Semi-random question. What do you think the author did with part one there?

Saladsamurai said:
thanks...typo. edited to correct. Thanks for the ideas, but I would like to stick with the format of the text. I do not know what the Einstein convention is...this is the 1st chapter of a text on the algebra of Matrices and Linear Algebra.

Thanks,
Casey

The Einstein convention is just a scheme for leaving out the explicit summation sigmas. It just says, if an index is repeated then sum over it. So look at Avodyne's form and if you see for example A_ij*B_jk, insert a sum over j. None these take any particular cleverness, it's just mechanical symbol manipulation.

Saladsamurai said:
Thanks for the ideas, but I would like to stick with the format of the text. I do not know what the Einstein convention is...this is the 1st chapter of a text on the algebra of Matrices and Linear Algebra.
In that case I suggest that you first solve these problems the way Avodyne solved the first one, and then convert your solution to the format used in the book. The method he suggested is by far the best one, and I completely agree with what he said here:
Avodyne said:
this D,G,F,H stuff is awfully confusing and obscures the main point.
There is no need to introduce other symbols (D,G,F,H) here. All they do is make it more difficult for you to see what you're really doing.

The "Einstein summation convention" sounds like something fancy, but it really isn't. The definition of matrix multiplication is

[tex](AB)_{ij}=\sum_k A_{ik}B_{kj}[/tex]

Those of us who use the summation convention would write this as

[tex](AB)_{ij}=A_{ik}B_{kj}[/tex]

The only difference is that we don't bother to write the sigmas because we know that there's always a summation over those indices that appear twice. The summation convention is nothing more than that.

Here's another example of how to prove a matrix identity. Let's prove that Tr(ABC)=Tr(CAB).

[tex]\textrm{Tr}(ABC)=(ABC)_{ii}=A_{ij}B_{jk}C_{ki}=C_{ki}A_{ij}B_{jk}=\textrm{Tr}(CAB)[/tex]

How about the identity (AB)T=BTAT?

[tex]((AB)^T)_{ij}=(AB)_{ji}=A_{jk}B_{ki}=B_{ki}A_{jk}=(B^T)_{ik}(A^T)_{kj}=(B^TA^T)_{ij}[/tex]

See how easy things get with this notation?

Fredrik said:
In that case I suggest that you first solve these problems the way Avodyne solved the first one, and then convert your solution to the format used in the book. The method he suggested is by far the best one, and I completely agree with what he said here:

There is no need to introduce other symbols (D,G,F,H) here. All they do is make it more difficult for you to see what you're really doing.

The "Einstein summation convention" sounds like something fancy, but it really isn't. The definition of matrix multiplication is

[tex](AB)_{ij}=\sum_k A_{ik}B_{kj}[/tex]

Those of us who use the summation convention would write this as

[tex](AB)_{ij}=A_{ik}B_{kj}[/tex]

The only difference is that we don't bother to write the sigmas because we know that there's always a summation over those indices that appear twice. The summation convention is nothing more than that.

Here's another example of how to prove a matrix identity. Let's prove that Tr(ABC)=Tr(CAB).

[tex]\textrm{Tr}(ABC)=(ABC)_{ii}=A_{ij}B_{jk}C_{ki}=C_{ki}A_{ij}B_{jk}=\textrm{Tr}(CAB)[/tex]

How about the identity (AB)T=BTAT?

[tex]((AB)^T)_{ij}=(AB)_{ji}=A_{jk}B_{ki}=B_{ki}A_{jk}=(B^T)_{ik}(A^T)_{kj}=(B^TA^T)_{ij}[/tex]

See how easy things get with this notation?
I think I am starting to see it now...let me review this thread some more.

Thanks,
Casey

sorry for posting this here, but how do i start a thread? I am new here and i need help on a math project. thanks :D

susie44 said:
sorry for posting this here, but how do i start a thread? I am new here and i need help on a math project. thanks :D

In each forum, at the top, there's a 'new topic' button/link.

Related to How Can I Prove Properties of Matrix Multiplication?

What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with linear equations, matrices, vector spaces, and linear transformations.

What are the basic concepts in linear algebra?

The basic concepts in linear algebra include vectors, matrices, systems of linear equations, determinants, and eigenvalues and eigenvectors.

What are simple proofs in linear algebra?

Simple proofs in linear algebra are mathematical arguments that use logical reasoning and the properties of linear algebra to prove a statement or theorem.

What are some common applications of linear algebra?

Linear algebra is used in many fields, including physics, engineering, computer science, statistics, and economics. It is used to solve systems of linear equations, analyze data, and model real-world situations.

What are some tips for learning linear algebra?

Some tips for learning linear algebra include practicing with examples, understanding the basic concepts, and using visual aids such as diagrams and geometric representations. It is also helpful to understand the applications of linear algebra in different fields.