How can i prove that a multiple of 4 is a multiple of 12?

• Thread starter Link
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Multiple
In summary, a multiple of 12 is always a multiple of 4, but a multiple of 4 is not always a multiple of 12. This can be seen through factoring, where a multiple of 12 can always be represented as 4 times another integer, making it a multiple of 4 as well. However, a multiple of 4 may not always be divisible by 12.
Link

Physics news on Phys.org
Link said:
You can't ... because it's NOT true.
Example:
(2)*(4)=(8) is NOT a {Multiple of (12)}

However, you can prove that a {Multiple of (12)} is a {Multiple of (4)}. Begin by factoring (12):
(12) = (4)*(3)
Now consider the integer "k" multiple of (12) given by (12)*k, where {k = 1, 2, 3, ...}:
{"k" Multiple of (12)} = (12)*k = {(4)*(3)}*k = (4)*{(3)*k} = (4)*m
where "m" is a positive integer. Thus:
{Multiple of (12)} IS A {Multiple of (4)}

~~

Last edited:
It is true that a multiple of 12 is a multiple of 4- just the opposite of the original post. That's true because "multiple of 12" MEANS "12 times some integer". If x is a multiple of 12, then x= 12n for some integer n. "Multiple of 4" MEANS "4 times some integer". Of course, if x is a multiple of 12 then x= 12n= 4(3n) so that x is 4 times the integer 3n: a multiple of 4.

1. How do I prove that a multiple of 4 is a multiple of 12?

To prove that a multiple of 4 is a multiple of 12, we can use the fact that 12 is a multiple of 4 and thus any multiple of 12 will also be a multiple of 4. Therefore, if we can show that the given number is a multiple of 4, it will automatically be a multiple of 12.

2. Can I use divisibility rules to prove that a multiple of 4 is a multiple of 12?

Yes, you can use the divisibility rule for 4 and 12 to prove that a number is a multiple of 4 and 12 respectively. For a number to be a multiple of 4, the last two digits of the number must be divisible by 4. Similarly, for a number to be a multiple of 12, the sum of its digits must be divisible by 3 and the last two digits must be divisible by 4.

3. Is there a mathematical formula to prove that a multiple of 4 is a multiple of 12?

Yes, there is a mathematical formula that can be used to prove that a multiple of 4 is a multiple of 12. The formula is: if a number is a multiple of both a and b, then it is also a multiple of their lowest common multiple, which in this case is 12.

4. How can I prove that a multiple of 4 is a multiple of 12 using prime factorization?

You can use prime factorization to prove that a multiple of 4 is a multiple of 12. First, find the prime factorization of the number in question. Then, check if all the prime factors of 12 are also present in the prime factorization of the number. If they are, then the number is a multiple of 12 and therefore also a multiple of 4.

5. Are there any other methods besides division and prime factorization to prove that a multiple of 4 is a multiple of 12?

Yes, there are other methods that can be used to prove that a multiple of 4 is a multiple of 12. For example, you can use the concept of LCM (Least Common Multiple) to find the LCM of 4 and 12, which is 12. If the given number is a multiple of 12, it will also be a multiple of 4.