How can I simplify this expression using index laws?

This thread should only be used for discussion about this specific problem. In summary, the question asks to simplify the expression \frac{x^{-2} - y^{-2}}{x^{-1} - y^{-1}} using positive indices. The user initially struggles with identifying which index laws apply, but with some hints, realizes that they can first remove the indices by converting them into fractions. From there, they recognize a common factor in both the numerator and denominator and are able to simplify the expression down to \frac{x+y}{xy}. Another user suggests an alternative method of multiplying both numerator and denominator by x^2y^2 to get the same result. The user asks if they can post another problem related to index laws on this thread
miniradman

Homework Statement

Simplify; expressing with positive indices.

[tex]\frac{x^{-2} - y^{-2}}{x^{-1} - y^{-1}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Hello, I'm doing first year uni math and over the holidays, I forgotten my index laws and as a result I'm stuck on this question :rolleyes:

I know that the answer is:

[tex]\frac{x+y}{xy}[/tex]

However I cannot figure out which laws relate to the equation.

I don't think I can just cancel the x's and y's here, because of that takeaway sign. Also I cannot bring the denominator up because I don't know what the rule is for that.

Can someone please give me a hint towards the right direction?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
miniradman said:

Homework Statement

Simplify; expressing with positive indices.

[tex]\frac{x^{-2} - y^{-2}}{x^{-1} - y^{-1}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Hello, I'm doing first year uni math and over the holidays, I forgotten my index laws and as a result I'm stuck on this question :rolleyes:

I know that the answer is:

[tex]\frac{x+y}{xy}[/tex]

However I cannot figure out which laws relate to the equation.

I don't think I can just cancel the x's and y's here, because of that takeaway sign. Also I cannot bring the denominator up because I don't know what the rule is for that.

Can someone please give me a hint towards the right direction?

This problem actually doesn't have too much to do with the index laws. Begin by removing the indices by converting them into fraction, then simplify from there.

OR if you prefer,
Notice that [itex]x^{-2}-y^{-2}=(x^{-1})^2-(y^{-1})^2[/itex] which is a difference of 2 squares.

Hello Mentallic, expanding the brackets gives me

[tex]\frac{(\frac{1}{x}+\frac{1}{y})(\frac{1}{x}-\frac{1}{y})}{\frac{1}{x}-\frac{1}{y}}[/tex]

How do I proceed from here? because I cannot see a way which will give me postive index values. Do I take both brackets in the numerators down to the denominator?

Mod note: You don't need to use the HTML SIZE tags to make your LaTeX bigger - just use tex tags instead of itex tags.

Notice the common factor in the numerator and denominator?

Ahhh... I see it now.

Then I just multiply the remaining bracket by [itex]\frac{xy}{xy}[/itex] to finish off the question.

Thanks a lot Mentallic :)

My first thought was to multiply both numerator and denominator by [itex]x^2y^2[/itex]:
[tex]\frac{x^{-2}- y^{-2}}{x^{-1}- y^{-1}}= \frac{y^2- x^2}{xy^2- x^2y}[/tex]
[tex]= \frac{(x+ y)(x- y)}{xy(y- x)}[/tex]

That works too! :)

If I have another problem I am stuck on relating to index laws, may I post it on this thread, or do I have to open a new topic?

miniradman said:
That works too! :)

If I have another problem I am stuck on relating to index laws, may I post it on this thread, or do I have to open a new topic?
For a new problem, please start a new thread.

Related to How can I simplify this expression using index laws?

What are index laws?

Index laws are a set of rules that are used to simplify expressions that contain exponents or indices. They help to manipulate and solve equations involving powers.

What is the rule for multiplying powers with the same base?

The rule for multiplying powers with the same base is to add the exponents together. For example, am * an = am+n.

How do you divide powers with the same base?

To divide powers with the same base, we subtract the exponents. For example, am / an = am-n.

What is the rule for raising a power to another power?

The rule for raising a power to another power is to multiply the exponents. For example, (am)n = amn.

How do you simplify expressions with negative or zero exponents?

If the exponent is negative, we can rewrite the expression using its reciprocal. For example, a-n = 1/an. If the exponent is zero, the expression simplifies to 1. For example, a0 = 1.