How can I simplify this expression without getting confused?

In summary, simplifying an expression means manipulating it into a simpler form while maintaining its original value. This is important because it makes the expression easier to understand and work with, as well as revealing any patterns or relationships within it. Common techniques for simplifying expressions include combining like terms, factoring, using the distributive property, and applying the order of operations. An expression is considered fully simplified when it cannot be further reduced using these techniques. Helpful tips for simplifying expressions include starting with combining like terms and correctly applying the order of operations.
Femme_physics
Gold Member
My basic math is failing me again :(

My attempt to simply:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/209/hw2q.jpg/

My teacher's attempt:

Ignore the difference in notation. He writes || which signifies (A x B) / (A + B) = A || B

And yes I'm aware there is more to simplify but I fail to follow him on the first step

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I take it R, S and C are three separate variables.
In ##\frac{\frac{R}{SC}}{R+\frac1{SC}}##, multiply top and bottom by SC.

Ahh...thank you, I should've seen it!

Related to How can I simplify this expression without getting confused?

What does it mean to simplify an expression?

Simplifying an expression means to manipulate and transform it into a simpler form while maintaining its original value. This is done by applying mathematical operations such as combining like terms, factoring, and using the order of operations.

Why is it important to simplify expressions?

Simplifying expressions makes them easier to understand and work with, as well as revealing any patterns or relationships within the expression. It also allows for quicker and more efficient calculations.

What are some common techniques for simplifying expressions?

Some common techniques for simplifying expressions include combining like terms, factoring, using the distributive property, and applying the order of operations.

How do I know when an expression is fully simplified?

An expression is considered fully simplified when it cannot be further reduced or transformed using any of the common techniques. This means that all like terms have been combined and any parentheses or brackets have been removed.

What are some tips for simplifying expressions?

One helpful tip for simplifying expressions is to start by combining like terms, as this often leads to a significant reduction in the complexity of the expression. Additionally, remembering the order of operations and using it correctly can help simplify expressions in a systematic way.