How can I solve gas problems in chemistry?

• Thread starter babbagee
  • Start date
In summary, Hemoglobin is a protein that transports oxygen through the blood from the lungs to the rest of the body. It combines with oxygen to create O2. The total pressure of the atmosphere and the alveoli is 1.00atm. The partial pressure of each gas mixture is 1.00atm. The mol% of each gas in the atmospehere and the alveoli is 78.6% and 20.9%, respectively. The number of O2 molecules in 0.50L of alveolar air at 37oC is 104.
babbagee
I really need help on this stuff. The book that I am using right now is getting on my nerves. It is by silberberg. This book teaches everything out of order. At least that is what i think. I really need help solving the problems below.

1.)Hemoglobin is the protein that transports O2 through the blood from the lungs to the rest of the body. In doing so, each molecule of hemoglobin combines with four molecules of O2. If 1.00g of hemoglobin combines with 1.53mL of O2 at 37oC and 743torr, what is the molar mass of hemoglobin?
*I know the pressure, i know the volume, and the temp, i need moles that is the hard part.

2.) When air is inhaled, it enters the alveoli of the lungs, and varying amounts of the component gases exchange with disolved gases in the blood. As a result, the alveolar gas mixture is quite different from the atmospheric mixture. The following table presents selected data on the composition and partial pressure of four gases in the atmosphere and in the alveoli:

... are just used for spacing

Atmosphere(sea level)........Alveoli...
Gas...Mol%...PP(torr)...Mol%...PP
N2...78.6..._____..._____...569
O2...20.9..._____..._____...104
CO2...0.04..._____..._____...40
H2O...46..._____..._____...47

If the total pressure of each gas mixture is 1.00atm, calculate:
A.) The partial pressure(in torr) of each gas in the atmospehere
b.) The mol% of each gas in the alveoli
c.)the number of O2 molecules in 0.50L of alveolar air(volume of an average breath at rest) at 37oC
*I have no idea on how to do this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks

Chemistry news on Phys.org
For first which is combination of stoichiometry, and Gases state

molecular wt= 4RT/PV

You should remember the formulae atleast.

It would be better if u yourself relate the partial pressure with mole fraction and vice versa for the second part.

I believe formulae will lead you to the desired conclusions
And PLS show your try so that we could help u better

KEEP TRYING TILL U REACH ONE TENTH OF PROBLEM, THIS HELPS IN INCREASING ANALYTIC SKILLS

1. What are the properties of gases?

Gases are characterized by their low density, compressibility, and ability to expand to fill any container. They also have no fixed shape or volume, and can be easily compressed or expanded by changes in temperature or pressure.

2. How do gases behave under different conditions?

Gases behave differently under different conditions of temperature and pressure. For example, at low temperatures and high pressures, gases tend to become more dense and may even condense into a liquid or solid form.

3. What is the ideal gas law and how is it used?

The ideal gas law, PV = nRT, is a mathematical formula that describes the relationships between pressure, volume, temperature, and the number of moles of a gas. It can be used to calculate any of these variables if the others are known.

4. How does the behavior of gases differ from that of liquids and solids?

Gases differ from liquids and solids in several ways. Unlike liquids and solids, gases have no fixed shape or volume and can be easily compressed. They also have much lower densities and are able to mix and diffuse more easily.

5. What are some real-world applications of gas behavior?

The behavior of gases is important in a variety of fields, including chemistry, physics, and engineering. Some real-world applications include gas laws used in scuba diving and weather forecasting, gas behavior in fuel combustion engines, and gas diffusion in medical treatments.