Can You Simplify and Solve This Complex Equation for y?

• Thread starter CourtneyS
  • Start date
In summary: Then take the square roots of both solutions to get the two values of ##y##.In summary, the student is trying to solve an equation for y but is having difficulty. They attempted to get a common denominator and expanded the equation but did not see a solution. The expert suggests using the variable a and writing the equation in LaTeX to make it easier to solve for y.
CourtneyS

Homework Statement

I am supposed to solve this equation for y.

Homework Equations

0=-(x+0.91)/(y^2+(x+0.91)^2 )+ (x-0.91)/(y^2+(x-0.91)^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I moved one of the terms to the other side and saw no way to get the solution doing that so then I got a CD by doing this:

[ (x+.91)(y^2 + (x-0.91)^2) - (x-0.91)(y^2+(x+0.91)^2) ] / [ (y^2 + (x+0.91)^2) (y^2 + (x-0.91)^2 ]

Then expanded

{xy^2 + x(x+0.91)^2 - 0.91y^2 + 0.91(x+0.91)^2 - [xy^2 +x(x+0.91)^2 - 0.91y^2 - 0.91(x+0.91)^2]} / [y^22 + y^2(x+0.91)^2 + y^2(x-0.91)^2 + (x+0.91)^2*(x-0.91)^2]

I don't really think expanding helps at all but I didn't know what else to so cause I didn't see a solution from the earlier eqn.

Any suggestions?[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
CourtneyS said:

Homework Statement

I am supposed to solve this equation for y.

Homework Equations

0=-(x+0.91)/(y^2+(x+0.91)^2 )+ (x-0.91)/(y^2+(x-0.91)^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I moved one of the terms to the other side and saw no way to get the solution doing that so then I got a CD by doing this:

[ (x+.91)(y^2 + (x-0.91)^2) - (x-0.91)(y^2+(x+0.91)^2) ] / [ (y^2 + (x+0.91)^2) (y^2 + (x-0.91)^2 ]

Then expanded

{xy^2 + x(x+0.91)^2 - 0.91y^2 + 0.91(x+0.91)^2 - [xy^2 +x(x+0.91)^2 - 0.91y^2 - 0.91(x+0.91)^2]} / [y^22 + y^2(x+0.91)^2 + y^2(x-0.91)^2 + (x+0.91)^2*(x-0.91)^2]

I don't really think expanding helps at all but I didn't know what else to so cause I didn't see a solution from the earlier eqn.

Any suggestions?[/B]

Yes. First suggestion is call ##a=.91##. Second is to use tex and write it as$$
\frac{x+a}{y^2+(x+a)^2}=\frac {x-a}{y^2+(x-a)^2}$$Now invert both sides and you should be able to solve it for ##y^2##.

What is the process for solving an equation for y?

To solve an equation for y, you must isolate the variable y on one side of the equation by performing inverse operations on both sides. This means using addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division to "undo" any operations that are being done to y. Once y is isolated, the remaining numbers and terms can be simplified to find the value of y.

Can any equation be solved for y?

Yes, any equation with a single variable can be solved for that variable. However, some equations may have infinite solutions or no solutions at all.

What if the equation has more than one variable?

If the equation has more than one variable, you cannot solve for y without knowing the value of the other variable(s). In this case, you would need to rearrange the equation and solve for a different variable, or use substitution to find the value of y in terms of the other variable(s).

Are there any shortcuts or tricks for solving equations for y?

There are no shortcuts or tricks for solving equations for y, as each equation is unique and must be solved by following the correct steps. However, with practice and understanding of algebraic concepts, you may become more efficient at solving equations.

Why is it important to solve an equation for y?

Solving an equation for y allows us to find the value of the variable and understand the relationship between the different terms in the equation. This is essential in fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering, where equations are used to model and solve real-world problems.