How can I turn this into formula?

• Thread starter Chitose
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary, we discussed a sci-fi writer seeking help with creating a formula for an indicator method that increases in levels, with each level being a certain multiple of the previous level. We determined that this can be represented by the equation x_n = n!x_1, where n! is the factorial function. However, there is no well-defined way to reverse this equation to find the level corresponding to a given value. We also discussed using a calculator or computer program to approximate this value. Ultimately, we concluded that although it may seem impossible at first, there are ways to solve this problem and use it in a sci-fi story.
Chitose
First to tell, this is not my homework.

Okay, I am a writer who now try make sci-fi story, and now I need help.

I come up with method of indicator.

Basic level is 1
and level 2 are two times bigger than level 1
and level 3 are three times bigger than level 2
and level 4 are four times bigger than level 3
..and there go without limit...

almost like magnitude of Earthquake right?

Can we some how turn this into formula for caculate?

like... If three times bigger than 2 is 3
than what is level that two times biggers than 2 ?

2.xxxx ?

I know it's silly, but I just want to know that is there a way to create formula from this?

If it's can't, than it's okay

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Let [itex]x_1[/itex] be the basic "level 1" and let [itex]x_n[/itex] denote the "nth level." We then have that:

[tex]x_n = n!x_1[/tex]

Where [itex]n! = n(n-1)(n-2) \dots (2)(1)[/itex]

As jgens stated the function you want is the factorial. To generate between values (like the gamma function) you need another condition the standard one being that the function should be log convex.
antifactorial(4)~2.66403279720615568637843

Last edited:
Awesome! your guy's really something.

okay, let's try replace value in formula that you gave me. (to be hornest, I'm not quit understand yet with pure formula so I wonna try.)

If I want to know exactly amont of [tex]x_n[/tex] that three times bigger than level 4.

ummm... what it going to look like?

[tex]x_n[/tex] = 3!(4) ??

confuse... :(

Chitose said:
Awesome! your guy's really something.

okay, let's try replace value in formula that you gave me. (to be hornest, I'm not quit understand yet with pure formula so I wonna try.)

If I want to know exactly amont of [tex]x_n[/tex] that three times bigger than level 4.

ummm... what it going to look like?

[tex]x_n[/tex] = 3!(4) ??

confuse... :(

According to your description, level 4 refers to a power of 4! = 4*3*2*1 = 24 units, in whatever unit you are using to measure the phenomena. I'm just using power as an example.
So 3 times larger than level 4 has a power of 3*4! = 3*4*3*2*1 = 72 units.
If you are looking for the level that corresponds to 72, you are trying to solve the equation x! = 72. There is no well-defined way to do this, as the factorial is only defined for integer input, and its generalization, the gamma function, is not invertable. At best, you can note that 72 is between 4! and 5! and use a linear scale to approximate x as about [itex]4 + \frac{13}{16}[/itex].
If you meant you want the power measurement of the level that is 3 times the level of level 4, you have (4 + 3)! = 7! units.

Last edited:
slider142 said:
its generalization, the gamma function, is not invertable.

It's increasing on [1.462, infinity), so it's invertable where we care about.

Code:
invgamma(x)={
  my(lx);
  if(x<1,error("x too small"));
  lx=log(x);
  solve(t=1,1e6,lngamma(t)-lx)
}

Code:
gp >invgamma(72)
%1 = 5.695574197346865243871035726

Ah crap! I ask something impossible than!?
Sorry,

So put it simple, we can calculate amount of unit but it's too complicate to reverse back to find extct 'x' level. Like we know that 3 time of level 4 is 72 units but we can't find about where that '72 units' stand between level 4 and level 5, right?

Since every 'x' level are always 'x' times bigger than previous level, formula scale are always change.

slider142 said:
There is no well-defined way to do this, as the factorial is only defined for integer input, and its generalization, the gamma function, is not invertable.

Nonsense. Do you know what invertable means?

Chitose said:
Ah crap! I ask something impossible than!?
Sorry,

So put it simple, we can calculate amount of unit but it's too complicate to reverse back to find extct 'x' level. Like we know that 3 time of level 4 is 72 units but we can't find about where that '72 units' stand between level 4 and level 5, right?

Since every 'x' level are always 'x' times bigger than previous level, formula scale are always change.

It is not impossible at all. I would recommend a calculator or computer though as it is a lengthly calculation by hand.
We have
x!=4!*3=24*3=72
x=antifactorial(72)~4.6955741973468652438710357255

If you do not have a calculator or computer program handy you can go to http://www.wolframalpha.com/ and enter
x! == 72

wow, ploblem slove. now I can explain how to compute this indicator in my story.

Thank you, your people are big help.

1. How can I turn this into formula?

Turning something into a formula involves identifying the key variables and relationships between them. First, carefully observe the data or situation to determine the relevant factors. Then, use mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division to express the relationships between variables. Finally, simplify the formula as much as possible for ease of use.

2. What are the steps to create a formula?

The steps to create a formula include identifying the variables, determining the relationships between them, and using mathematical operations to express those relationships. It is also important to simplify the formula for ease of use and to test it with various values to ensure accuracy.

3. How do I know if my formula is accurate?

To determine if a formula is accurate, you can test it with a variety of values and compare the results to the original data or situation. The more closely the results match, the more accurate the formula is. It is also important to consider any limitations or assumptions made in creating the formula.

4. Can I use a formula to predict future outcomes?

Yes, formulas can be used to predict future outcomes based on the relationships between variables. However, it is important to note that these predictions are based on the data and assumptions used in creating the formula, so they may not always be accurate.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when creating a formula?

Some common mistakes to avoid when creating a formula include not simplifying it enough, using incorrect mathematical operations, and not considering all relevant variables. It is also important to test the formula with various values to ensure accuracy and to be aware of any limitations or assumptions made in creating it.