How Can I Understand Obversion in Venn Diagrams for the First Time?

In summary, the Venn Diagrams in string theory are used to represent the quality of a particle. The quality can be changed by replacing the predicate with it's complement. This is done by drawing a line from the vertex of the diagram to the point where the predicate meets the complement. The line that is drawn is called an "inference line."
omin
I am studying Obversion for the first time in terms of Venn Diagrams. I'm am struggling to understand the conventions.

Obversion requires two steps: (1)The quality must be changed. (2)The predicate is replaced with it's complement.

Before I go on, I want to point out two types of statements that create the problem for me in understanding Obversion.

There are two ways A, E, I, and O statements can be written. (1)The subject and the predicate are both subjects. (2)The subject and predicate of the statements are a subject and a class.

Example A type:
(1)Dogs are Humans. (Subject, Subject)
(2)Dogs are in the class Human. (Subject, Class)

(I consider the copula the determiner of quality and have highlighted it.)

Now here is (2) example in the Obverse:

(2)Dogs are not in the class non-Human. (Subject, Class)

Here's the problem:

In the example in my book, the Venn Diagram puts the dogs in the class of humans. Non-Humans is the class containing Dogs. Saying Dogs are not in their own class is all I see the Obverse form saying. How do I see the inference they are in the human class in the Obverse form?

Physics news on Phys.org
Check out http://www.sirus.com/users/mjake/StringTh.html You'll see him post around in the string forum and might have some answers for you?

I wasn't sure whether to post this or not, but in regards to the future, how would we write the programs that would deal with the nature of consciousness? If such a TOE, is to exist, it must some how explain this?

http://superstringtheory.com/forum/dualboard/messages14/214.html

If we understood the diagrams and logic demonstrated here, what value could we have assigned A(child)B(adult)C(Parent)

If A is represented by O

If B is represented by O

If C is represented by O

How would you define the actions, when All three overlap, or two over lap and one remains by itself?

Probabilsitic detrminations under statistical analysis, can be detailed in Fuzzy logic to have recognized that three factors must be consider here, that under the heading of true or false, the third result, is the adult?

The adult then, in the calculation would have been detailed, under this heading.

In cryptology the simultaneous function is realized in this interaction? Three photon entanglement now five?

Sol

Last edited by a moderator:
I checked out the web page. It's a webpage on string theory. I am only studying Venn Diagrams for the first time in relation to introductory logic vs. Venn diagrams in string theory. Thanks, but taking on a new discipline (string theory) while trying to learn Venn Diagrams will be too cumbersome.

Related to How Can I Understand Obversion in Venn Diagrams for the First Time?

What is obversion in Venn diagrams?

Obversion is a logical operation in which the quality of a categorical proposition is changed and the predicate is negated. In Venn diagrams, this is represented by flipping the shading of the region corresponding to the predicate term.

How is obversion different from conversion in Venn diagrams?

Conversion involves switching the subject and predicate terms in a categorical proposition, while obversion only changes the quality of the proposition and negates the predicate. In Venn diagrams, conversion is represented by flipping the positions of the subject and predicate circles, while obversion only changes the shading of the predicate circle.

Can obversion be applied to all categorical propositions?

Yes, obversion can be applied to all categorical propositions, including A, E, I, and O propositions. However, it is most commonly used with A and E propositions.

How does obversion affect the validity of a categorical syllogism?

Obversion does not affect the validity of a categorical syllogism. It only changes the form of the proposition, not its logical structure. Therefore, a syllogism that was valid before obversion will still be valid after obversion.

What are some common mistakes when using obversion in Venn diagrams?

One common mistake is forgetting to change the quality of the proposition when applying obversion. Another mistake is incorrectly shading the region of the predicate term. It is important to pay attention to the shading of both circles in the Venn diagram when using obversion.