SQL joins illustrated as Venn diagrams

In summary, the use of Venn diagrams or set theory to understand SQL joins can be confusing for those who think literally and logically. While Venn diagrams are often used to represent operations on sets, SQL tables are not technically sets because they can contain repeated elements. Additionally, the elements in an SQL table do not necessarily have to be of the same type, making the analogy to sets even more convoluted. However, some may argue that a join can be seen as a subset of the product of the joined sets. Ultimately, the usefulness of this analogy is subjective and there is a need for more diverse prefixes for tagging posts on this topic.
SlurrerOfSpeech
In my opinion, using Venn diagrams, or set theory in general, to help aspiring SQL programmers (yes, SQL is a programming language) understand joins causes nothing but confusion for literal-, logical-thinking persons like myself. Allow me to explain my opinion.

Venn diagrams have always been used to show operations on sets of elements of the same type. SQL tables are not sets because they can contain repeated elements (identical rows). But let's pretend for a moment that they are sets. Still, an inner join, for example, doesn't necessarily make sense as an intersection because the two sets being intersected do not necessarily consist of the same types of elements. The following

A = { dog, cat, horse, lizard }
B = { cat, mule, hamster, dog }
A intersect B = { cat, dog }

simple example of an intersection makes sense because the sets have the same types of elements (animal names). A join is nothing like an intersection because A and B can be of different elements and the result can be an entirely new type of element.

By the way, you guys should add more prefixes so I don't have to arbitrarily tag this as C/#/++ in order to satisfy the prefix reguirment.

Technology news on Phys.org
SlurrerOfSpeech said:
In my opinion, using Venn diagrams, or set theory in general, to help aspiring SQL programmers (yes, SQL is a programming language) understand joins causes nothing but confusion for literal-, logical-thinking persons like myself. Allow me to explain my opinion.

Venn diagrams have always been used to show operations on sets of elements of the same type. SQL tables are not sets because they can contain repeated elements (identical rows). But let's pretend for a moment that they are sets. Still, an inner join, for example, doesn't necessarily make sense as an intersection because the two sets being intersected do not necessarily consist of the same types of elements.
There is nothing in the definition of a set that says the elements have to be of the same type. From wikipedia, a set is "a collection of distinct objects".
SlurrerOfSpeech said:
The following

A = { dog, cat, horse, lizard }
B = { cat, mule, hamster, dog }
A intersect B = { cat, dog }
You could just as well have this:
A = { dog, 7, granite, shovel }
B = { mule, dog, pinwheel, hammer }
##A \cap B ## = {dog}
SlurrerOfSpeech said:
simple example of an intersection makes sense because the sets have the same types of elements (animal names). A join is nothing like an intersection because A and B can be of different elements and the result can be an entirely new type of element.

By the way, you guys should add more prefixes so I don't have to arbitrarily tag this as C/#/++ in order to satisfy the prefix reguirment.

A join can be described as a set, more precisely as a subset of the product of the joined sets.

Whether it is helpful or not is a matter of taste.

Technically an SQL table can contain identical records, using a primary key takes care of that.

SlurrerOfSpeech said:
The tag is not required, but I agree that we should have more tags.

Since your post isn't about C, C++, or C#, I am removing that tag.

1. What is a SQL join?

A SQL join is a way to combine data from two or more tables in a database. It is used to retrieve related data from multiple tables in a single query.

2. How are SQL joins illustrated as Venn diagrams?

SQL joins are often illustrated as Venn diagrams to help visualize how the tables are being combined. Each table is represented as a circle, and the overlapping area represents the data that is being joined.

3. What are the different types of SQL joins?

There are four main types of SQL joins: inner join, left join, right join, and full outer join. Each type specifies which data from the tables should be included in the result set.

4. How do you know which type of SQL join to use?

The type of SQL join to use depends on the relationship between the tables and what data you want to retrieve. Inner join is used to return only matching rows from both tables, while left join and right join are used to return all rows from one table and matching rows from the other. Full outer join is used to return all rows from both tables.

5. Can you give an example of an SQL join illustrated as a Venn diagram?

For example, if we have two tables: Students and Courses, and we want to retrieve all students who are taking a course, we can use an inner join. The Venn diagram for this join would show the overlapping area representing the students who are taking a course.