How can I use variation of parameters to solve this equation?

In summary, Variation of Parameters is a method used to find particular solutions for differential equations by introducing new variables that vary with the independent variable. Unlike other methods, it can be applied to non-homogeneous equations with variable coefficients and allows for the construction of a particular solution. The steps involved include finding the general solution, Wronskian, setting up a system of equations, and solving for the particular solution. However, it is limited to linear equations and can be computationally intensive. It can also be extended to higher-order equations but may require additional techniques.
vanceEE

Homework Statement

$$y'' - 2y = x + 1$$

Homework Equations

$$ y_{o} = Ae^{√(2)x} + Be^{-√(2)x} $$
$$ v_{1}'e^{√(2)x} + v_{2}'e^{-√(2)x}\equiv 0 $$
$$ √(2)v_{1}'e^{√(2)x}-√(2) - v_{2}'e^{-√(2)x} = x + 1 $$

The Attempt at a Solution

$$ v_{2}' = \frac{x+1}{-2√(2)e^{-√(2)x}} $$
$$ v_{2} = (\frac{-x}{4}+\frac{√2}{8}-\frac{1}{4})*e^{√(2)x} $$

$$v_{1}' = (\frac{x+1}{-2√(2)e^{-√(2)x}})(e^{-2√(2)x})$$
$$v_{1} = (\frac{-x}{4}-\frac{√2 + 2}{8})*e^{-√(2)x}$$

$$ y = Ae^{√(2)x} + Be^{-√(2)x} + (\frac{-x}{4}-\frac{√2 + 2}{8})*e^{-√(2)x} + (\frac{-x}{4}+\frac{√2}{8}-\frac{1}{4})*e^{√(2)x} $$

Where's my error? The correct solution is $$ y = Ae^{√(2)x} + Be^{-√(2)x} - \frac{x}{2} - \frac{1}{2}$$

Physics news on Phys.org

Homework Statement

$$y'' - 2y = x + 1$$

Homework Equations

$$ y_{h} = Ae^{√(2)x} + Be^{-√(2)x} $$

$$ y = Ae^{√(2)x} + Be^{-√(2)x} + (\frac{-x}{4}-\frac{√2 + 2}{8})*e^{-√(2)x} + (\frac{-x}{4}+\frac{√2}{8}-\frac{1}{4})*e^{√(2)x} $$

Where's my error? The correct solution is $$ y = Ae^{√(2)x} + Be^{-√(2)x} - \frac{x}{2} - \frac{1}{2}$$

Last edited:
Since I am letting $$ y(x) = v_{1}y_{1} + v_{2}y_{2} $$ my error is that I did not multiply v_{1} and v_{2} by the associated homogeneous solutions, correct?
$$y_{o}(x) =(\frac{-xe^{√(2)x}}{4}+\frac{√2e^{√(2)x}}{8}-\frac{e^{√(2)x}}{4})*e^{-√(2)x} + (\frac{-xe^{-√(2)x}}{4}-\frac{(√2 + 2)e^{-√(2)x}}{8})*e^{√(2)x} $$
$$= -(\frac{x}{2}+\frac{1}{2}) $$

$$ y(x) = Ae^{√(2)x} + Be^{-√(2)x} -(\frac{x}{2}+\frac{1}{2}) $$

Last edited:
The particular solution is ##y_p = u_1 y_1 + u_2 y_2##. You forgot the y's.

vanceEE said:

Homework Statement

$$y'' - 2y = x + 1$$

Homework Equations

$$ y_{o} = Ae^{√(2)x} + Be^{-√(2)x} $$

Variation of parameters is overkill for a problem like this. You should easily be able to find a particular solution to your original ODE by inspection. But your problem is that ##v_1+v_2## isn't part of your solution. You have to multiply them by the homogeneous parts. You want ##v_1 e^{\sqrt{2} x}+v_2 e^{-\sqrt{2} x}##. The exponential parts will cancel in the particular solution.

vanceEE said:
Since I am letting $$ y(x) = v_{1}y_{1} + v_{2}y_{2} $$ my error is that I did not multiply v_{1} and v_{2} by the associated homogeneous solutions, correct?
$$y(x) =(\frac{-xe^{√(2)x}}{4}+\frac{√2e^{√(2)x}}{8}-\frac{e^{√(2)x}}{4})*e^{-√(2)x} + (\frac{-xe^{-√(2)x}}{4}-\frac{(√2 + 2)e^{-√(2)x}}{8})*e^{√(2)x} $$
$$= -(\frac{x}{2}+\frac{1}{2}) $$

Exactly, as I said in your other thread. Please don't double post, I assume this was an accident.

Dick said:
Please don't double post, I assume this was an accident.

What do you mean by double posting? Did I post two forums or are you referring to me editing what I've posted on my forum?

vanceEE said:
What do you mean by double posting? Did I post two forums or are you referring to me editing what I've posted on my forum?

I'm referring to the fact there are two threads called "Variation of Parameters" by vanceEE in the "Calculus and Beyond" forum. You are working on one, I was working on the other.

Dick said:
You should easily be able to find a particular solution to your original ODE by inspection.

Please explain what you mean by solving by inspection.

Dick said:
I'm referring to the fact there are two threads called "Variation of Parameters" by vanceEE in the "Calculus and Beyond" forum. You are working on one, I was working on the other.

Sorry, just noticed that. BTW, what did you mean by solving by inspection?

vanceEE said:
Please explain what you mean by solving by inspection.

Guess a form for the particular solution, say y=ax+b, then y''=0. So y''-2y=x+1 gives -2(ax+b)=x+1, so a=b=(-1/2) and y=-x/2-1/2 works. If the inhomogeneous part is a polynomial, guess a polynomal form and try to solve for it. If it works, it's usually a lot easier than the variation of parameters track.

vanceEE said:
Sorry, just noticed that. BTW, what did you mean by solving by inspection?

See other thread.

Dick said:
Guess a form for the particular solution, say y=ax+b, then y''=0. So y''-2y=x+1 gives -2(ax+b)=x+1, so a=b=(-1/2) and y=-x/2-1/2 works. If the inhomogeneous part is a polynomial, guess a polynomal form and try to solve for it. If it works, it's usually a lot easier than the variation of parameters track.

Oh, and yes you're right; I'm aware that I could have used an easier method like undetermined constants to find this solution but the question asked me to use variation of parameters to find a solution for the equation.

Last edited:
vanceEE said:
Oh, and yes you're right; I'm aware that I could have used an easier method like undetermined constants to find this solution but the question asked me to use variation of parameters to find a solution for the equation.

I thought so, just checking that you also saw how easy it really was if you don't have to use variation of parameters.

Related to How can I use variation of parameters to solve this equation?

What is the concept of "Variation of Parameters"?

Variation of Parameters is a method used in solving differential equations, particularly for finding a particular solution. It involves introducing new variables that vary with the independent variable and using them to construct a solution for the given equation.

How does "Variation of Parameters" differ from other methods of solving differential equations?

Unlike other methods such as separation of variables or the method of undetermined coefficients, Variation of Parameters can be applied to non-homogeneous equations with variable coefficients. It also allows for the construction of a particular solution rather than just the general solution.

What are the steps involved in using "Variation of Parameters" to solve a differential equation?

The first step is to find the general solution of the corresponding homogeneous equation. Then, we find the Wronskian of the two linearly independent solutions of the homogeneous equation. Next, we set up a system of equations using the Wronskian and the non-homogeneous terms of the given equation. Finally, we solve the system of equations to find the particular solution.

What are the limitations of using "Variation of Parameters" to solve differential equations?

One limitation is that it can only be applied to linear differential equations. Also, finding the Wronskian and solving the resulting system of equations can be computationally intensive and may not always be feasible.

Can "Variation of Parameters" be used to solve higher-order differential equations?

Yes, Variation of Parameters can be extended to solve higher-order differential equations. However, it becomes more complicated as the order of the equation increases and may require additional techniques such as repeated integration.