How can the definite integral be 8/3 when the indefinite is -1/3*(4-y^2)^(3/2)?

In summary, the conversation revolved around a problem involving a semicircular tank underground and the amount of work required to pump water out of the top. There were discussions about using definite integrals, as well as basic substitution and integration by parts, to solve the problem. The main issue was the integration of the function (3-y)(sqrt(4y-y^2)), and whether there was an easier way to solve it or a different approach that could be taken. The conversation also touched on the idea of using the center of gravity to calculate the work required, but this was not possible due to the varying distances the water would have to travel. Ultimately, the conversation ended with a proposed solution using a formula based on the dimensions of the
trancefishy
I am working on a problem involving a semicircular tank underground, and how much work is required to pump water out of the top. i set everything as i see correctly, but cannot computer the definite integral. i only know basic substitution and to some degree integration by parts, but that is apparently not required for this problem. the integral i am having problems with is (def integral, from zero to 2, of) [(3-y)(sqrt(4y - y^2))] dy.
i narrowed it down to the fact i can't integrate sqrt (4y - y^2), which i found out is incredibly difficult and complicated. so I'm thinking there is either an easier way to inegrate this that I'm unaware of, or a way to set the problem up so that I'm not dealing with square roots. i have been working on this for over 5 hours now, in the past two days, with no good results.

the problem is something like this. semicircular tank underground, length of 8, radius of 2. the tank is laying horizontal to the horizon, with the flat part of the semicircle at the top. there is a nozzle 1 ft high that the water has to go through.

i set it up like this:
work = force x distance = volume x density x acceleration due to gravity x distance.

so i computed the dimensions of the slab, 8 * dy * 2(sqrt[4y - y^2])

multiplied this by 62.5 (density of water), 32 (accel. of gravity), and (3-y) (distance the slab of water travels, (2-y)+1, since there is a 1 ft nozzle).

this left me with 32000 times the inegral i listed above. sorry this is so long, but I'm really stuck with this one. thanks for any advice

Physics news on Phys.org
You didn't mention how fast the water flows out of the nozzle.

Wouldn't it be easier to imagine all the mass of the water concentrated at its center of gravity and calculate the work required to lift it to the desired location?

doesn't matter how fast it flows out, same amount of work is required. also, i can't do the center of gravity approach for two reasons, 1) i was never exposed to anything having to do with center of gravity and most importantly 2) the layers of water at the top of the tank have less distance to travel than the layers towards the bottom, so each layer requires a different amount of work to pump out of the tank.

trancefishy said:
doesn't matter how fast it flows out, same amount of work is required. also, i can't do the center of gravity approach for two reasons, 1) i was never exposed to anything having to do with center of gravity and most importantly 2) the layers of water at the top of the tank have less distance to travel than the layers towards the bottom, so each layer requires a different amount of work to pump out of the tank.

Actually, the flow could matter since it requires work/energy to accelerate the water that is initally at rest. However, if the flow rate is sufficiently small then the kinetic energy component can be neglected.

Basically, your problem is the integration which you can do: I get, for the indefinite integral,
[tex]\sin^{-1} \frac {y-2}{2} + \sqrt {y(4-y)}[/tex]

I think you would have gotten a much simpler integral if you had taken the y = 0 level to be at the top of tank.

i set it up like this:
work = force x distance = volume x density x acceleration due to gravity x distance.

so i computed the dimensions of the slab, 8 * dy * 2(sqrt[4y - y^2])

Could you draw a picture? I got a different formula, but I'm not sure I understand the problem...

The way I understand it, you have a half-cylinder tank, and the large flat part is facing up? Wouldn't then dV be 8*2sqrt(4-y^2)dy? Where does the y in 4y come from?

And since distance is y+1, you get:

dW = density*acceleration*16*sqrt(4-y^2)*(y+1)*dy
W = density*acceleration*16*[integral from 0 to 2]((y+1)sqrt(4-y^2))

It's almost 5 AM here so I have no time to integrate it by hand, but wolfram integrator says the indefinite integral is -1/3*(4-y^2)^(3/2). The definite one then gives 8/3.. Multiply with 16, density and acceleration and that should be it...

Last edited:

Related to How can the definite integral be 8/3 when the indefinite is -1/3*(4-y^2)^(3/2)?

1. How do you solve work problems using integrals?

To solve work problems using integrals, you need to use the formula W = ∫F(x)dx, where W represents the total work done, F(x) represents the force applied at a given distance x, and ∫ represents the integral sign. You also need to determine the limits of integration, which represent the starting and ending points of the work being done. Once you have these components, you can plug them into the formula and solve for the total work done.

2. What is the difference between a work problem and an integral?

A work problem is a word problem that involves calculating the amount of work done by a force. An integral, on the other hand, is a mathematical tool used to find the area under a curve. In the context of work problems, integrals are used to calculate the total work done by a varying force over a given distance.

3. Can you give an example of a work problem that can be solved using integrals?

One example of a work problem that can be solved using integrals is a situation where a variable force is applied to an object over a given distance. For instance, if you need to calculate the work done by pushing a box with a force that increases linearly from 10N to 20N over a distance of 5m, you can use an integral to find the total work done.

4. Are there any other applications of integrals in science?

Yes, integrals have various applications in science, including physics, chemistry, and biology. In physics, they are used to calculate the area under a velocity-time graph to determine displacement and acceleration. In chemistry, they are used to calculate reaction rates and concentrations. In biology, they are used to model population growth and calculate the rate of change of biological processes.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using integrals to solve work problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using integrals to solve work problems include not properly setting up the integral, using the wrong limits of integration, and not considering the direction of the force. It is also important to double-check your work and ensure that your units are consistent throughout the problem.