How can the momentum of a thrown rock be calculated with given parameters?

In summary, a person throws a 1.10kg rock with a launch angle of 39.0° over flat level ground from a height of 0.668m above the ground. The rock travels 7.40m down range before hitting the ground, then bounces and achieves a maximum height of 12.0cm before coming to rest. The momentum of the rock at the instant it leaves the thrower's hand is 24.8 kgm/s. It is important that the rock is irregular because it affects its trajectory and motion. The height above sea level is mentioned because it can also affect the rock's motion due to changes in air resistance. The angle at which the rock is thrown also plays a role
Kikakaru212
Homework Statement
A rock of mass 1.10kg and volume 283cm3 is irregular shape. A person throws the rock with a launch angle of 39.0° (above the horizontal) over flat level ground from a height of 0.668m above the ground. Ground level is at an elevation of 138m above sea level. The rock goes 7.40 m down range before it hits the ground. The rock bounces off the ground achieving a maximum height of 12.0cm and traveling an additional 18.0cm down range before coming to rest with a thud. Find the momentum of the rock at the instant it leaves the thrower’s hand.

The attempt at a solution
So what I did was V = √2gx (where x is distance) and I got a velocity of 22.54 m/s. I plugged that into the equation P=m*v to get momentum of 24.8 kgm/s However, I'm not sure I did this right at all.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
Hint. Look up "ballistics".
the formula you used is for when the rock is dropped a from rest from a height x, when gravity is the only force. Is that what happened here?

Why is it important that the rock is irregular?
Why is the height above sea level mentioned?
What difference would the angle the rock got thrown make?

What is momentum?

Momentum is a measurement of an object's motion, calculated by multiplying its mass by its velocity.

How do you calculate momentum?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity. The formula for momentum is p = mv, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity.

What are the units for momentum?

The units for momentum are kg*m/s. This is because momentum is the product of mass, measured in kilograms, and velocity, measured in meters per second.

How is momentum related to force?

Momentum is directly related to force. According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, force is equal to the change in momentum over time. This means that the more force applied to an object, the greater its change in momentum will be.

What are some real-world applications of calculating momentum?

Momentum is used in many real-world situations, such as sports, transportation, and engineering. In sports, momentum is used to analyze the force of a moving object, such as a baseball or a car. In transportation, momentum is used to calculate the force needed to stop a vehicle. In engineering, momentum is used to design and improve machines and structures.