How can this interesting set of mirrors be constructed?

In summary, the mirror set at Hazarduari Palace in Murshidabad, West Bengal is a famous attraction due to its unique design. This set of mirrors allows you to see everyone around you, but not yourself. It consists of two pairs of mirrors placed at a 90-degree angle, creating the illusion that you are invisible. Photography is prohibited in the museum, but there is a Wikipedia page that shows a similar mirror arrangement.
Wrichik Basu
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
The mirror that I'm talking of, is situated in Hazarduari Palace in Murshidabad, West Bengal, India. This place was once the capital of Bengal under the Nawab before the British defeated the Nawab in the historic battle of Plassey, 1757.

The history is not that important here, but the mirror is. In fact, this is not a single mirror, but a set of mirrors that adorn the so-called "dressing table" of the Nawab. The importance of this set of mirrors is that, when you look at it, you can see everyone around yourself, but not yourself.

When we had visited this historic place, we also got a chance to see this famous mirror set. Whether you look at it from a distance or very close, you'll never be able to see yourself, but you will clearly be able to see everyone standing next to you.

As it was a museum, photography was prohibited there, due to which I cannot show a photo of the mirror. I searched on Google but couldn't find a photo, perhaps due to the same reasons. So you've to believe my words that something like that really exists.

Now, my question is, can anyone show or explain how such a wonder can be created with plane mirrors? I've never seen it elsewhere. How can you not see yourself but everyone around you?

Science news on Phys.org
I looked at the link but there is no picture of the mirror arrangement that you refer to. Can you find one?

From the Wikipedia page:

There are also two pairs of mirrors in the museum, that are placed at an angle of 90 degrees in such a way that one cannot see one's own face but others can see.

That was going to be my guess also, that it's two mirrors at an angle to each other, and you're looking head on.

Likes Wrichik Basu
@rumborak How did you find that? :)):eek::oldsurprised::bugeye::bow:
Actually the link was for those who don't know about the place. So I never read through it. Great discovery, though.

1. How do mirror mazes work?

Mirror mazes work by using multiple angled mirrors to create a seemingly endless maze of reflections. As the viewer moves through the maze, the reflections change, making it difficult to determine the correct path to take.

2. What materials are needed to construct a mirror maze?

To construct a mirror maze, you will need multiple mirrors, a sturdy frame or walls to hold the mirrors in place, and a clear path for viewers to walk through. The mirrors can be made of glass or acrylic, and the frame can be made of wood, metal, or other materials.

3. How can I make sure the mirrors are angled correctly in a mirror maze?

The key to creating a successful mirror maze is to make sure that the mirrors are angled correctly so that the reflections create the desired effect. This can be achieved by using a protractor or angle finder to measure and adjust the angle of each mirror. Alternatively, you can use a laser level or string to ensure that the mirrors are aligned properly.

4. How can I create optical illusions using mirrors in a maze?

To create optical illusions in a mirror maze, you can use different types of mirrors, such as convex or concave mirrors, to distort the reflections. You can also use lighting and color to enhance the illusions. Experimenting with different angles and placement of the mirrors can also create interesting effects.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when constructing a mirror maze?

Yes, there are several safety precautions to consider when constructing a mirror maze. The mirrors should be securely attached to the frame or walls to prevent them from falling and breaking. The path should be wide enough for viewers to walk through comfortably and should be free of any obstacles. Additionally, it is important to use safety glass or acrylic for the mirrors to prevent injuries in case of breakage.