How can this thermodynamic phenomenon be explained

In summary, the ice cream wrapper will tilt towards any object that is nearby and will easily remove itself from the hand. It is unknown if there is a temperature effect, but it is possible that a static electricity effect is at play.
Supernova00
Hi there.

Earlier today I decided to pull out ice cream from the freezer. It is a magnum-type ice-cream and comes in a plastic wrapper.

Once I opened the wrapper and removed the ice cream, I left the wrapper on the kitchen table and noticed something rather bizzarre (to me at least). Everytime I placed a warmer object near the wrapper (I tried my hand, Tv-remote, metal fork and coffee coaster) within minutes of it being out of the freezer, the cold wrapper would tilt towards the object, and then hold onto it like a weak magnet. It was really weird seeing the packaging tilt towards my hand given that the separation between my hand and the packaging was roughly 1cm. It was fairly easy to remove the packaging from my hand.

I would be really grateful if somebody could explain this to me.

Science news on Phys.org
Supernova00 said:
Hi there.

Earlier today I decided to pull out ice cream from the freezer. It is a magnum-type ice-cream and comes in a plastic wrapper.

Once I opened the wrapper and removed the ice cream, I left the wrapper on the kitchen table and noticed something rather bizzarre (to me at least). Everytime I placed a warmer object near the wrapper (I tried my hand, Tv-remote, metal fork and coffee coaster) within minutes of it being out of the freezer, the cold wrapper would tilt towards the object, and then hold onto it like a weak magnet. It was really weird seeing the packaging tilt towards my hand given that the separation between my hand and the packaging was roughly 1cm. It was fairly easy to remove the packaging from my hand.

I would be really grateful if somebody could explain this to me.
What if you placed a colder object near it. Would it also tilt for that?

Chestermiller said:
What if you placed a colder object near it. Would it also tilt for that?

Ah shoot! I forgot to test that properly. I realized that I should have done so before posting. Sorry.

edit: Actually I do recall testing it although not as thoroughly as with my hand. I tested it using the ice cream bar itself. I can confirm that it did not tilt for it, but I did not carry out any repeats so I can't be sure.

Supernova00 said:
Ah shoot! I forgot to test that properly. I realized that I should have done so before posting. Sorry.

edit: Actually I do recall testing it although not as thoroughly as with my hand. I tested it using the ice cream bar itself. I can confirm that it did not tilt for it, but I did not carry out any repeats so I can't be sure.
I was thinking that it might be a static electricity effect.

Likes berkeman
Interesting.After repeated testing today I can confirm that it does gravitate towards a cold object. When it didn't yesterday that must have been a one off.

Please explain how static electricity would produce this effect

Edit: I suppose it isn't actually thermodynamic if the cold wrapper tilts towards hot and cold objects

If you want to test if there is a temperature effect, you might want to use a much stronger heat source, like a light bulb or lighter, to exaggerate the effects.
There could be something going on like a bimetallic strip. One side of the plastic may get warmer than the other side, and cause it to curl.

If you want to test for static effects, you could try stroking the plastic with wool or something.

I'll try that out over the coming few days. Should be interesting

1. How do thermodynamic laws explain heat transfer?

Thermodynamic laws, specifically the first and second laws, provide the framework for understanding heat transfer. The first law states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted. The second law states that heat will spontaneously flow from a hotter object to a colder object. Together, these laws explain the direction and magnitude of heat transfer.

2. What is the role of entropy in thermodynamics?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness of a system. In thermodynamics, the second law states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time. This means that as energy is transferred and work is done, the disorder of the system will also increase. Entropy is a key concept in understanding the direction of processes and the efficiency of energy conversions.

3. What is the difference between heat and temperature?

Heat and temperature are related but distinct concepts in thermodynamics. Temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of particles in a substance, while heat is the transfer of energy from a hotter object to a colder object. So, while temperature is a measure of the intensity of heat, heat is a measure of the quantity of thermal energy transferred.

4. How do phase transitions occur in thermodynamics?

Phase transitions occur when a substance changes from one physical state to another, such as from solid to liquid or liquid to gas. This can be explained by changes in the kinetic energy and intermolecular forces of the particles in the substance. The first and second laws of thermodynamics also play a role in determining the direction and energy involved in phase transitions.

5. Can thermodynamics be applied to all systems?

Thermodynamics is a fundamental science that can be applied to a wide range of systems, from macroscopic objects to individual molecules. However, it does have limitations, such as not being able to accurately describe systems at the quantum level. Overall, thermodynamics is a versatile and powerful tool for understanding and predicting the behavior of various physical systems.