How can we solve IR divergences problem?

• Thread starter ndung200790
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ir
In summary, the UV divergence problems in QED are solved by using the Renormalization Procedure, which involves regularizing and taking a cutoff before taking the limit. However, the process for solving IR divergence problems is not as clear. Some approaches include summing the cross section over all possible configurations with soft photons or redefining the asymptotic electron states. In studying from Peskin&Schroeder, the confusion arises in regards to mass singularities in QCD and whether they will lead to any issues, with a distinction being made between singularities when p=0 and when p^2=m^2.
ndung200790
Please teach me this:
The UV divergence problems are solved by Renormalization Procedure,but I do not understand how to solve IR divergence problems.
Thank you very much for your kind helping.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am no expert in re-normalisation but my understanding is it is solved in the same way - by regularisation, imposing a cutoff, and then taking the limit:
http://www.hep.phys.soton.ac.uk/hepwww/staff/D.Ross/qft/aqft5.pdf

Right now I am going a bit deeper into QFT than I have before and this is something I too am trying to grasp. The following paper really helped me a lot by exposing its mathematical underpinnings:
http://arxiv.org/pdf/hep-th/0212049.pdf

Thanks
Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
ndung200790 said:
Please teach me this:
The UV divergence problems are solved by Renormalization Procedure,but I do not understand how to solve IR divergence problems.
If you're talking about QED, the usual textbook procedure is to sum the cross section over all possible configurations with soft photons in the final state. See, e.g., Peskin & Schroeder.

Another approach is to redefine the asymptotic electron states to include soft photon clouds.

BTW, which textbook(s) are you studying from?

I am studying Peskin&Schroeder and I am confused with mass singularities in QCD(Parton evolution).

In Peskin&Schroeder (&17.5 Parton Evolution)saying ''...when quarks and gluons appear in initial state of parton subprocess,...mass singularities do not cancel''.Then I worry if there are any disasters because of the singularities?

And are there any differences between the singularities because of p→0 when m=0 and the singularities because of p[itex]^{2}[/itex]→m[itex]^{2}[/itex]?

1. What is an IR divergence?

An IR divergence, or infrared divergence, is a type of mathematical singularity that occurs in quantum field theory calculations. It arises when the energy of a particle approaches zero, resulting in an infinite contribution to the calculation.

2. Why do IR divergences occur?

IR divergences occur because of the nature of the interactions between particles in quantum field theory. These interactions become stronger at low energies, leading to infinite contributions to calculations.

3. How do IR divergences affect our understanding of physical phenomena?

IR divergences can make it challenging to extract meaningful physical predictions from quantum field theory calculations. They can also indicate the limitations of the theory and may require additional techniques, such as renormalization, to make predictions.

4. How can we solve IR divergences problem?

One approach to solving IR divergences is through the use of resummation techniques, which involve summing an infinite number of terms to cancel out the divergences. Other methods include modifying the theory or using different mathematical tools, such as dimensional regularization.

5. Are there any unresolved issues with IR divergences?

While many techniques have been developed to deal with IR divergences, there are still open questions and ongoing research in this area. Some theories, such as quantum gravity, also continue to face challenges in dealing with IR divergences.