How can we systematically derive Casimir operators for graded Lie algebras?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of deriving the Casimir operator in a systematic way for an arbitrary graded Lie algebra. The general method involves starting with the commutation relation and forming the adjoint representation, then using the Killing form to find its inverse and form the dual basis elements. The Casimir invariant is then given by the product of these elements. This approach can also be applied to superalgebras with some modifications. More information on this topic can be found on Wikipedia.
petergreat
I followed a book on SUSY where the SUSY Casimir operator, modified from the Pauli-Lubanski vector, is stated and then proven to commute with all SUSY generators. However, I'm wondering whether there's a systematic approach of deriving the Casimir operator, other than trial-and-error? Is there a general method of deriving Casimir operators for an arbitrary graded Lie algebra?

Physics news on Phys.org
Generally, the idea is to start with [T_a, T_b] = f_ab^c T_c, form adjoint rep ad_T_a = J_a, then form the Killing form g_ab = Tr(J_aJ_b), find its inverse g^ab such that g^ab g_bc = del^a_c, form the dual basis elements J^a = g^ab J_b, and then finally, the Casimir invariant is given by C = J_a J^a = g^ab J_a J_b. Looking at the definition of g_ab, we see that this is a symmetric metric, as one would hope for. Other representations of C can be formed as well; it'd simply be C = g^ab T_a T_b.

More details here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casimir_invariant

Edit: What I said applies to algebras. I assume you would need to modify this some for superalgebras; Tr -> Str and so on. I don't think anything out of the ordinary happens beyond that, but I'm not positive. I'm less familiar with superalgebras.

Related to How can we systematically derive Casimir operators for graded Lie algebras?

1. What is the N=1 SUSY Casimir operator?

The N=1 SUSY Casimir operator is a mathematical operator used in supersymmetry, a theoretical framework used to explain the relationship between fermions and bosons. It is used to calculate the energy levels of a system and is an important tool in studying supersymmetric theories.

2. How is the N=1 SUSY Casimir operator calculated?

The N=1 SUSY Casimir operator is calculated by using the supercharges of the supersymmetric theory. These supercharges are operators that transform fermionic states into bosonic states and vice versa. The Casimir operator is then constructed using these supercharges and their commutation relations.

3. What is the significance of the N=1 SUSY Casimir operator?

The N=1 SUSY Casimir operator is important because it is used to determine the number of supersymmetric states in a system. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the symmetry and dynamics of supersymmetry.

4. Can the N=1 SUSY Casimir operator be used in other supersymmetric theories?

Yes, the N=1 SUSY Casimir operator can be generalized to other supersymmetric theories with different numbers of supercharges. The N=1 refers to the minimal amount of supercharges needed for supersymmetry to hold, but higher supersymmetric theories with more supercharges also have their own Casimir operators.

5. How does the N=1 SUSY Casimir operator relate to other Casimir operators?

The N=1 SUSY Casimir operator is a generalization of the usual Casimir operator found in quantum mechanics. It is also related to the Hamiltonian operator, as it is used to calculate energy levels in a supersymmetric system. However, it has additional terms that take into account the supersymmetric nature of the theory.