How can you effectively approach writing a proof?

In summary, writing proofs requires critical thinking and a thorough understanding of definitions and formulas. It is helpful to write down the hypotheses and conclusion, as well as the definitions of technical words and relevant formulas. Exploring different connections between the hypotheses and conclusion can also aid in the writing process. Additionally, considering simpler versions of the proof can provide insight for tackling the more general case.
MiniTank
I find proofs very difficult. What process would you go through before writing a proof? What do you do generally?

Physics news on Phys.org
There isn't any "general theory" or "general procedure"- you have to THINK!

I would recommend the following- first write down the hypotheses (what you are "given") and the conclusion (what you are trying to prove). Now, write down the definitions of all technical words (Yes, I think it is a really good idea to WRITE them just to be sure you have the precise definition- often specific words of the definitions are used in proofs) and any formulas you can think of (or look up!) connecting any quantities given in the proof. NOW try to think of all the ways in which the hypotheses could be connected to the conclusion. Often it helps to look at a simplified version of the proof first- are there any special cases in which the proof is simpler? If so can you vary the proof so as to apply to the more general case?

Before writing a proof, it is important to have a clear understanding of the concepts and definitions involved in the problem. This includes reviewing any relevant theorems or properties that may be applicable. It is also helpful to carefully read and analyze the given statement or question to determine what exactly needs to be proven.

Once I have a solid understanding of the problem, I like to start by brainstorming and outlining my approach to the proof. This may involve breaking down the statement into smaller, more manageable parts or considering different strategies for proving it. I also like to consider any counterexamples that may disprove the statement and think about how to address them in my proof.

Next, I begin writing the actual proof, making sure to clearly state each step and justify it using previously established definitions or theorems. It is important to be thorough and meticulous in the logical progression of the proof, as even a small mistake can lead to an incorrect solution.

Throughout the process, I also like to revisit my work and check for any errors or gaps in reasoning. It can be helpful to take breaks and come back to the proof with a fresh perspective, as this can often reveal errors that may have been overlooked.

Overall, my general approach to writing a proof involves careful preparation, strategic thinking, and thorough checking for accuracy. With practice and patience, proofs can become less daunting and more manageable.

Related to How can you effectively approach writing a proof?

What is a "General Theory for Proofs"?

A General Theory for Proofs is a mathematical framework that provides a systematic way to construct and verify mathematical proofs. It aims to provide a set of rules and principles that can be applied to any mathematical statement, allowing for the creation of rigorous and reliable proofs.

How is a General Theory for Proofs different from other proof theories?

Unlike specific proof theories that focus on a particular branch of mathematics, a General Theory for Proofs is applicable to all mathematical statements. It provides a universal approach to constructing and verifying proofs, making it a more comprehensive and versatile tool for mathematicians.

What are the key components of a General Theory for Proofs?

A General Theory for Proofs typically includes axioms, definitions, and rules of inference. Axioms are self-evident statements that serve as the starting point for constructing a proof. Definitions clarify the meaning of terms used in the proof, while rules of inference provide a logical framework for deriving new statements from existing ones.

How does a General Theory for Proofs contribute to the field of mathematics?

A General Theory for Proofs plays a crucial role in the development and advancement of mathematics. It provides a solid foundation for constructing and verifying proofs, ensuring the validity of mathematical arguments. It also allows for the exploration of new mathematical concepts and the discovery of new theorems.

Are there any limitations to using a General Theory for Proofs?

While a General Theory for Proofs is a powerful tool for mathematicians, it does have some limitations. It relies on the accuracy and consistency of its axioms and definitions, which may be subject to debate or change over time. It also requires a high level of mathematical expertise to apply effectively.