How could I find the total electric field in this question?

In summary, the electric field due to a semicircle can be calculated using the formula 2kQ/pi.Rsquare, where Q is the charge, R is the radius of the semicircle, and k is the Coulomb constant. To find the field at a specific point, the formula can be adjusted by adding the distance a from the point to the center of the semicircle. This can be done by equating the field at the point to the field at the center of the semicircle and adding the two vectors together.
Gnall
Homework Statement
Hello. There is a semicircle charged ring and I found the electric field at the origin. But there is an also extra charge near the origin and the total electric field is zero. I need the charge. I'm trying to solve the 1-b question in the image.
Relevant Equations
Electric field.
The electric field due to the semicircle is 2kQ/pi.Rsquare
Sorry for the bad english.

Attachments

• 20190419_131832.png
    20190419_131832.png
    167.6 KB · Views: 274
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Gnall said:
The electric field due to the semicircle is 2kQ/pi.Rsquare
Sorry for the bad english.
Having solved a, b looks rather straightforward.
Please post an attempt as per forum rules.

I found that. Is that true?

Attachments

• 1555671265964100675394.jpg
    1555671265964100675394.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 254
haruspex said:
Having solved a, b looks rather straightforward.
Please post an attempt as per forum rules.

Kq/aSquare=2kQ/piRsquare,
So q=2QaSquare/piRsquare
Is that true?

You already found the electric field at centre due to semicircular ring. Find the field due to point charge placed at distance 'a'. Check the directions and add them vectorially (basically just equate them:wink:).

P.S. You got the right answer.

Likes Gnall
Aryamaan Thakur said:
You already found the electric field at centre due to semicircular ring. Find the field due to point charge placed at distance 'a'. Check the directions and add them vectorially (basically just equate them:wink:).

P.S. You got the right answer.
Thank you so much :)

1. How do I calculate the total electric field using Coulomb's Law?

To calculate the total electric field using Coulomb's Law, you will need to determine the magnitude and direction of each individual electric field. Then, use vector addition to find the net electric field.

2. What is Coulomb's Law and how does it relate to finding the total electric field?

Coulomb's Law is a physics equation that describes the force between two charged particles. It is used to calculate the magnitude of an electric field created by a single charged particle. To find the total electric field, you would use this equation for each individual charged particle and then add the resulting electric fields together using vector addition.

3. Can I use Gauss's Law to find the total electric field?

Yes, Gauss's Law can be used to find the total electric field in certain situations, such as when dealing with symmetric charge distributions. However, in most cases, Coulomb's Law is more commonly used to calculate the electric field.

4. What factors affect the strength of the total electric field?

The strength of the total electric field is affected by the magnitude and direction of each individual electric field, as well as the distances between the charged particles. The greater the magnitude of the individual electric fields and the smaller the distance between the charged particles, the stronger the total electric field will be.

5. How does the superposition principle apply to finding the total electric field?

The superposition principle states that the total electric field at a point is equal to the vector sum of all the individual electric fields at that point. This means that to find the total electric field, you must consider the contributions of all the individual electric fields at that point using vector addition.