How did this Lab experiment work exactly?

In summary: This is a basic optical transmitter and receiver. You can use this setup to send signals between two devices.
denjay
In my intro Electromagnetism physics class, one of the labs we did was really fascinating. I didn't have a huge amount of interest in it at the time so I don't remember the details of how it worked but now I really want to know.

From what I remember the set up was like this:

We hooked up a microphone to some circuit with an LED. This LED would flicker depending on what sound was input into the microphone. The LED then was held up to what I remember as a solar panel or something similar. The solar panel was attached to another circuit with a speaker. Essentially it transferred the sound from the microphone to the speaker through the flickering of the LED.

Does anyone have an idea of what this is called? I'm assuming it's related to fiber optics in some way but it was a very simple set up that looked like you could make at home with some electronic supplies. Any details would be greatly appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You just made a basic optical transmitter (led) and receiver (solar panel) - very much the same as the typical TV remote control - but with visible light instead of IR. I would not have thought that you would get enough energy transfer - through a systems like that to actually be able hear anything on the other end - I' think I might try that one!

lol not many ppl know this but you could use that same LED as a light senser.

What supplies would one need to make this?

Hello Den...

Ha I had to laugh at how poorly I read your original post-sorry. I was thinking you ONLY had the Micro/LED then Solar Panel and Speaker. But the Microphone ->small amplifier -> LEDs

The solar panel (cell) may be able to go right to a speaker. I'll bet all available at something like Radio Shack - depending on the distortion levels you would be OK with.

Ether way - with some type of an amplifier(or 2) involved - I can clearly see how this would work.

1. What was the purpose of this lab experiment?

The purpose of this lab experiment was to investigate a specific scientific question or phenomenon, and to gather data and evidence that can be used to support or reject a hypothesis.

2. What materials and equipment were used in this lab experiment?

The specific materials and equipment used in a lab experiment can vary, but generally include items such as beakers, test tubes, chemicals, measuring instruments, and safety equipment like goggles and gloves.

3. What steps were involved in this lab experiment?

The steps involved in a lab experiment can also vary, but typically include a procedure that outlines the specific methods and techniques used to conduct the experiment, as well as any data collection and analysis procedures.

4. How were the results of this lab experiment analyzed?

The results of a lab experiment are typically analyzed using statistical methods and techniques, which can help to determine if the data supports or refutes the hypothesis. The results may also be compared to previous research or experiments in the field.

5. What are the implications of the findings from this lab experiment?

The implications of a lab experiment's findings can vary depending on the specific topic and purpose of the experiment. However, in general, the findings may contribute to a better understanding of a scientific concept or phenomenon, and may have practical applications in fields such as medicine, technology, or environmental science.