How difficult is calculus to learn?

• Thread starter Holocene
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary: I've always remembered the key to success: Hard work. It definitely wasn't easy, but it was definitely worth it in the end. The key to success in learning calculus is to be willing to put in a lot of effort. It was not easy for me, but it was definitely worth it in the end.
Holocene
Let's say that someone has a very good understanding of algebra.

How hard is it to transition to calc?

Physics news on Phys.org
Its not that hard, first time taking it, I had a good algebra base, and the only stuff I struggled the least bit with was Delta-Epsilon Definition of a limit. Its really fairly simple, so long as you have a good teacher and book, or a good discipline.

The math involved in learning calculus is not hard at all, it's basically all just algebra and trig. Sure you can make it hard but for the most part it is not.

Learning calculus is hard in that it demands more effort to understand it. I think a big tip is to read actively, try to solve the example problems first before you read their solution etc.

Calculus is a huge step taken from pre-calc.

No matter how simple or annoying pre-calc is, it is so important, I cannot stress this enough, without pre-calc, you can forget about calculus. It's the foundation of doing well in calculus. When I first learned calculus, I rushed through pre-calc, and of course I deeply regretted. I have to learn it all over again and it was a breeze the second time.

What I also found difficult about calculus was, obviously, the concepts. The limit definition, fundamental theorem of calculus, Riemann Sums etc etc, it takes time to truly understand it. You have to understand it inside out. Make sure there is not a little bit of uncertainty in the back of your mind, or it will grow and you will just...die..

most people think it was hard, but as sylvanus p. thompson said; what one fool can do, anoiher can.

so if I learned it, you definitely can. It helps if you grade it and then teach it a couple times. and it helps if youn use a good book, like courant, or spivak, or courant and john, or apostol.

I will reiterate what other have said here: it's not hard at all. I took it my freshman year in high school, and it was a breeze. But then again, nothing is hard if you really try and want to do it.

Great replies, thanks.

and a good algebra background is THE best prerequisite for calc.

Invictious said:
Calculus is a huge step taken from pre-calc.

No matter how simple or annoying pre-calc is, it is so important, I cannot stress this enough, without pre-calc, you can forget about calculus. It's the foundation of doing well in calculus. When I first learned calculus, I rushed through pre-calc, and of course I deeply regretted. I have to learn it all over again and it was a breeze the second time.

What I also found difficult about calculus was, obviously, the concepts. The limit definition, fundamental theorem of calculus, Riemann Sums etc etc, it takes time to truly understand it. You have to understand it inside out. Make sure there is not a little bit of uncertainty in the back of your mind, or it will grow and you will just...die..

pre-calc for calc? maybe in knowing the shapes of the trig functions? i don't even remember what i learned in pre-calc but that means i didn't use much of it in calc.

seriously not that hard. if all the engineers and doctors and random people can learn it then it must be pretty easy cause most of the those people are pretty dumb

the key to calculus is learning how to differentiate and integrate

note: the later is much more difficult

DavidSmith said:
the key to calculus is learning how to differentiate and integrate

note: the later is much more difficult

all smooth continuous functions are differentialbe. there is no such theorem for integrals

ice109 said:
all smooth continuous functions are differentialbe. there is no such theorem for integrals
?

By definition a smooth function has derivatives of all orders, so it's certainly differentiable. On the other hand, a continuous function is not necessarily differentiable. But a continuous function is integrable.

then i am extremely mistaken, its late I'm sorry

the key to remember is that learning calculus will require much more effort than learning algebra, trig, and precalc.

I've always been good at algebra, but I had difficulty learning calculus at first since at the time I first learned it, I wasnt too motivated in learning

morphism said:
?

By definition a smooth function has derivatives of all orders, so it's certainly differentiable. On the other hand, a continuous function is not necessarily differentiable. But a continuous function is integrable.

continuous function on compact interval. Should we even consider finitely many discontinuity?

Math has always been my toughest subject, but I've gotten better grades in calculus (Calculus in 10th grade, AP in 11th) than I have gotten for math in years. I took Pre-calculus in 9th grade and hated it to so much. There's been a few times where we've had to use what we learned from it, but I honestly don't believe it's necessary. If you have a strong knowledge of algebra and a good teacher, calc. should be no problem.

While developing a couple of calculus courses I think that the teaching or the approach to calculus is all important. Having done a couple of calculus courses with different approaches and then finding my favourite text on the subject, I can safely say that they can make the difference between it being very hard or very easy for you. So I would recommend having a good look at a few texts that use different approaches and see which one strikes you as the most appropriate for your understanding.

Having said that learning to differentiate and integrate is very easy. Depends if you want to understand what you're doing or not.

Related to How difficult is calculus to learn?

Is Calculus Difficult to Learn?

Whether calculus is difficult to learn can vary from person to person. The level of difficulty you experience when learning calculus depends on several factors:

1. Prior Math Background:

Your familiarity and comfort with foundational math concepts, such as algebra and trigonometry, can significantly impact your experience with calculus. A strong grasp of these prerequisites can make learning calculus smoother.

2. Motivation and Interest:

Your motivation and interest in the subject can affect your learning experience. If you are genuinely curious and motivated to understand calculus, you may find it less challenging than if you approach it with reluctance.

3. Instruction and Resources:

The quality of instruction and the availability of educational resources, such as textbooks, online tutorials, and interactive software, can greatly influence your learning experience. Effective teaching and accessible resources can make the learning process more manageable.

4. Practice and Persistence:

Calculus, like many subjects, requires practice and persistence. Regular practice and problem-solving can help solidify your understanding and improve your skills in calculus.

Are There Different Levels of Difficulty in Calculus?

Calculus is typically divided into two main branches: differential calculus and integral calculus. Differential calculus deals with rates of change and slopes of curves, while integral calculus deals with accumulation and areas under curves. In general, some students may find one branch more challenging than the other, depending on their learning style and mathematical background.

Is There Support Available for Learning Calculus?

Yes, there is a wealth of support available for learning calculus. You can access various resources, including textbooks, online courses, video tutorials, and study groups. Many educational institutions also offer tutoring and academic assistance to students struggling with calculus.

How Can I Make Learning Calculus Easier?

To make learning calculus more manageable, consider the following tips:

1. Build a Strong Foundation:

Ensure you have a solid understanding of algebra and trigonometry, as these concepts are fundamental to calculus.

2. Take Your Time:

Don't rush through the material. Take your time to understand each concept thoroughly before moving on to the next.

3. Practice Regularly:

Practice solving calculus problems regularly to reinforce your skills and understanding.

4. Seek Help When Needed:

If you encounter difficulties, don't hesitate to seek help from instructors, tutors, or online resources.

5. Stay Motivated:

Find ways to stay motivated and interested in the subject, as enthusiasm can make the learning process more enjoyable.

Is Calculus Worth Learning?

Calculus is a foundational subject in mathematics and has significant applications in various fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and computer science. Learning calculus can open up opportunities for advanced studies and careers in these areas. Additionally, it enhances problem-solving skills and critical thinking, which are valuable in many aspects of life.