1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How diffraction of a wave through a aperture in terms of the uncertain

1. Aug 12, 2010 #1
    How could you describe qualitatively how diffraction of a wave through a aperture in terms of the uncertainty principle?

Cat

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 13, 2010 #2
    Re: Diffraction

lets take a single slit and shine light through it . If i make this slit smaller and force the light to go through it , i know to much about the position of the photons they must be though that opening (delta x) so now i must get an uncertainty in the momentum of the photons , so (dx)(dp)=(h-bar) , When i make the slit to small the light starts to spread out and diffract .
    The smaller i make the slit the more uncertainty i will have in the photons momentum .
    I don't know if this is what you were looking for .

4. Aug 16, 2010 #3

Thank you, much appreciated.

5. Aug 16, 2010 #4

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Does that treatment yield a sin(x)/x distribution? Wave theory does- and it agrees with measurement very well.

6. Aug 17, 2010 #5

These might not answer your question but you might want to look at them.
    http://univirtual.info/elementaryphysics/pc/cutnell3158c29/cutnell3158c29_7.htm [Broken]
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=227296

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  7. Aug 17, 2010 #6

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh I see, now. Interesting. The calculations do, in fact, seem to use a wave approach to get actual values but relate it to uncertainty. Fair enough - it's always useful to tie things together.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook