How Do Angles Affect the Forces in Lifting Tongs?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve a problem involving forces in the vertical direction of F and G. The suggested approaches include considering the tongs as 'free bodies' and using mechanical advantage. The coordinates of points A and B are not necessary to solve the problem and the tension in the rod DE can be used to calculate moments about F in rod DAF.
Gauss M.D.

Homework Statement

See attachment

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I just need a kickstart figuring out what the forces in the vertical direction of F and G are. I am guessing F and G are exerting a force in the direction of their normal, but I have no idea how to figure out the angle of that normal. Really lost :(

Attachments

• prob2.png
    prob2.png
    13.8 KB · Views: 1,244
Physics news on Phys.org
You can solve this by concentrating on the tongs as the 'free bodies'. The load applies a vertically downward force Mg/2 on each, and you just need to compute the horizontal force it must apply in equilibrium.
Another approach is to think in terms of mechanical advantage. If the load were to descend some small distance dy, how much closer would the ends of the tongs get?

Thanks for the help. I can't seem to work out the coordinates of points A or B however. I think I need those to calculate moments, but I'm not sure how to find them...

It is not possible to determine the co-ordinates of those points, but it turns out not to matter.
Can you find the tension in the rod DE? Can you then take moments about F in rod DAF?

The forces in the vertical direction of F and G would depend on the angle at which the tongs are being lifted. If the tongs are being lifted straight up, then the forces would be equal to the weight of the tongs, which is the force of gravity acting on them. However, if the tongs are being lifted at an angle, then the forces would be different and would depend on the angle at which they are being lifted. In order to determine the forces in the vertical direction, you would need to use the equations of static equilibrium, which state that the sum of all the forces in the vertical direction must equal zero. This will allow you to solve for the forces of F and G and determine the angle of their normal. It is also important to consider the weight of the object being lifted by the tongs, as this will also contribute to the forces in the vertical direction.

Related to How Do Angles Affect the Forces in Lifting Tongs?

What is the force of lifting tongs?

The force of lifting tongs refers to the amount of force required to lift an object using tongs. This force can vary depending on the weight and size of the object, as well as the type and design of the tongs being used.

How do tongs work to lift objects?

Tongs work by using a lever system to grip and lift objects. The two arms of the tongs act as the lever, with the pivot point being the joint where the arms are connected. As one arm is pushed down, the other arm moves up, allowing the tongs to grip and lift objects.

What are the different types of tongs used for lifting?

There are many different types of tongs used for lifting, including kitchen tongs, blacksmith tongs, and laboratory tongs. Each type is designed for a specific purpose and may have a different shape, size, or material.

How do you calculate the force needed to lift an object with tongs?

The force needed to lift an object with tongs can be calculated using the formula F = mg, where F is the force in newtons, m is the mass of the object in kilograms, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²). This formula assumes that the tongs are being used to lift the object vertically.

What safety precautions should be taken when using lifting tongs?

When using lifting tongs, it is important to follow proper safety precautions to avoid injury. This may include wearing protective gloves, ensuring the tongs are securely gripping the object, and using proper lifting techniques. It is also important to check the weight limit of the tongs and not exceed it to prevent damage or injury.