Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do big stores check used DVDs?

1. Aug 3, 2014 #1

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

How do big stores that sell used DVDs check the DVDs are good? - or that they even contain the film that's on the DVD's label? They can't hire a person to watch each used DVD can they?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2014 #2
    That is a good question. I remember that I used to occasionally rent a DVD that wouldn't play.

4. Aug 3, 2014 #3

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

they don't

of course not it would take years to do that

The CD's/DVD's are bought from reputable sources.
    any faulty discs would be discovered by the customer and a replacement would be sought from the seller.
    I have had to do that, there's never been an issue with getting a replacement

Dave

5. Aug 3, 2014 #4

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Even new DVDs or CDs can have flaws or be incorrectly labeled. Over the years, I've bought a number of discs that had playback glitches and had to exchange them. I even bought a brand-new CD once that didn't match the case and booklet, although the label on the CD itself was correct. It turned out the music filled a gap in my collection, so I kept it and bought another copy to get what I originally intended to buy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook