How do big stores check used DVDs?

Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
How do big stores that sell used DVDs check the DVDs are good? - or that they even contain the film that's on the DVD's label? They can't hire a person to watch each used DVD can they?

Answers and Replies

How do big stores that sell used DVDs check the DVDs are good? - or that they even contain the film that's on the DVD's label? They can't hire a person to watch each used DVD can they?
That is a good question. I remember that I used to occasionally rent a DVD that wouldn't play.

davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
How do big stores that sell used DVDs check the DVDs are good? - or that they even contain the film that's on the DVD's label?
they don't

They can't hire a person to watch each used DVD can they?
of course not it would take years to do that

The CD's/DVD's are bought from reputable sources.
any faulty discs would be discovered by the customer and a replacement would be sought from the seller.
I have had to do that, there's never been an issue with getting a replacement

Dave

jtbell
Mentor
Even new DVDs or CDs can have flaws or be incorrectly labeled. Over the years, I've bought a number of discs that had playback glitches and had to exchange them. I even bought a brand-new CD once that didn't match the case and booklet, although the label on the CD itself was correct. It turned out the music filled a gap in my collection, so I kept it and bought another copy to get what I originally intended to buy.