How do big stores check used DVDs?

• Thread starter Stephen Tashi
  • Start date
In summary, big stores that sell used DVDs do not hire a person to watch each individual DVD. Instead, they buy from reputable sources and rely on customers to report any faulty discs. This is not only for used DVDs, but even new ones can have flaws or be incorrectly labeled.
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
How do big stores that sell used DVDs check the DVDs are good? - or that they even contain the film that's on the DVD's label? They can't hire a person to watch each used DVD can they?

Physics news on Phys.org
Stephen Tashi said:
How do big stores that sell used DVDs check the DVDs are good? - or that they even contain the film that's on the DVD's label? They can't hire a person to watch each used DVD can they?

That is a good question. I remember that I used to occasionally rent a DVD that wouldn't play.

Stephen Tashi said:
How do big stores that sell used DVDs check the DVDs are good? - or that they even contain the film that's on the DVD's label?

they don't

They can't hire a person to watch each used DVD can they?

of course not it would take years to do that

The CD's/DVD's are bought from reputable sources.
any faulty discs would be discovered by the customer and a replacement would be sought from the seller.
I have had to do that, there's never been an issue with getting a replacement

Dave

Even new DVDs or CDs can have flaws or be incorrectly labeled. Over the years, I've bought a number of discs that had playback glitches and had to exchange them. I even bought a brand-new CD once that didn't match the case and booklet, although the label on the CD itself was correct. It turned out the music filled a gap in my collection, so I kept it and bought another copy to get what I originally intended to buy.

There are a few different methods that big stores may use to check the quality and content of used DVDs. One common approach is to use automated machines that can quickly scan the disc for any damage or issues. These machines can also verify that the disc contains the film that is listed on the label.

In addition, some stores may have a team of employees who are responsible for inspecting and testing used DVDs before they are put out for sale. This can involve physically watching a portion of the film to ensure that it plays properly and matches the label.

Many big stores also have strict policies in place for accepting used DVDs, such as only accepting discs that are in good condition and have not been heavily scratched or damaged. This can help ensure that the DVDs being sold are of high quality and accurately labeled.

Overall, while it may not be feasible for big stores to have a person watch every single used DVD, they have various methods in place to ensure the quality and accuracy of the DVDs being sold.

1. How do big stores determine the condition of used DVDs?

Big stores typically have a set of criteria they use to evaluate the condition of used DVDs. This may include checking for scratches, cracks, or other damage to the disc, as well as ensuring that the disc plays properly without skipping or freezing.

2. Do big stores clean or repair used DVDs before selling them?

Some big stores may have a cleaning or repair process in place for used DVDs, but this varies by store. It's always a good idea to inspect the disc before purchasing to make sure it is in good condition.

3. How do big stores price used DVDs?

The pricing of used DVDs at big stores is usually determined by a combination of factors, such as the title of the DVD, its popularity, and its condition. Oftentimes, newer or more popular titles will be priced higher than older or less popular ones.

4. Can big stores sell counterfeit or pirated DVDs?

It is illegal for big stores to sell counterfeit or pirated DVDs. Most stores have measures in place to verify the authenticity of the DVDs they are selling, but it's always important to be cautious and purchase from reputable sources.

5. Do big stores offer any guarantees or returns for used DVDs?

This varies by store, but some big stores may offer a return or exchange policy for used DVDs if the disc is found to be defective or not as described. It's best to check the store's policies before making a purchase.