How do electrons flow in a basic electronic circuit?

In summary, the conversation discusses the basics of an electronic circuit, particularly the role of a battery in creating an electric field and potential difference. It explains how electrons flow from the negative to the positive terminal, and how chemical reactions inside the battery contribute to this process. The conversation also touches on the concept of internal resistance and how it affects the flow of current.
glenn101
Hey guys, I'm going to university next year to complete a degree in electronics engineering and I'm hoping to get a head start.

Ok I've attempted to read several online materials to try and create a mental model of what occurs in an electronic circuit. Let's assume its a basic circuit with a battery, copper wires, and a load. And I'll also assume non-conventional current i.e. electron flow from negative to positive terminal inside battery. Ok so beginning from the battery, my first question arises, I've read that inside the battery there is an electric field directed from the negative to the positive terminal, is there a build up of electrons at the positive terminal of the battery to induce this field?

From there work is done on the electrons from the chemical reactions inside the battery to push electrons against this electric field gaining electric potential in the process, so once the electrons leave the positive terminal of the battery, is there another electric field created in the circuit to push the electrons around the circuit whilst reducing electric potential eventually returning to the negative terminal?

I'm assuming there is, if so, what is creating this electric field?

Thanks in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
I've read that inside the battery there is an electric field directed from the negative to the positive terminal, is there a build up of electrons at the positive terminal of the battery to induce this field?

Where did you read that?

The electrons that flow out of a battery do not "bunch up" on the negative terminal.
Before you completed the external circuit, those electrons were spinning around Zinc atoms on the Zinc electrode of the battery.
The Zinc dissolves in the electrolyte to become Zn++, releasing two electrons.
At the positive terminal, there are a lot of Hydrogen ions that are able to use returning electrons to become Hydrogen gas.

The electrons do not actually move through the battery.

These reactions depend on the kind of battery it is, but the principle is the same.

The net result of these chemical reactions waiting to happen is that there is a potential difference across the battery. You can measure it with a meter. This voltage is due to the Oxidation and Reduction potentials of the reactions happening at the terminals.

After that, Ohm's Law applies and the current that flows depends on the external resistance and the internal resistance of the battery.

for any help provided!

I can provide a response to your question about how electrons flow in a basic electronic circuit. In a basic circuit, the flow of electrons is driven by the presence of an electric field. This electric field is created by the difference in electric potential between the positive and negative terminals of the battery. Inside the battery, there is a buildup of electrons at the negative terminal, creating a negative charge. This negative charge repels the electrons in the circuit, causing them to flow towards the positive terminal.

As the electrons flow through the circuit, they encounter different components such as resistors, capacitors, and other electronic devices. These components can either impede or facilitate the flow of electrons, depending on their properties. For example, a resistor will impede the flow of electrons, causing them to lose energy and reducing their electric potential. On the other hand, a capacitor can store and release electrons, allowing them to flow through the circuit more easily.

As the electrons move through the circuit, they eventually return to the negative terminal of the battery. This creates a closed loop, allowing for a continuous flow of electrons. The electric field in the circuit is maintained by the difference in electric potential between the positive and negative terminals of the battery.

I hope this helps to provide a better understanding of how electrons flow in a basic electronic circuit. Good luck with your studies in electronics engineering!

1. How do electrons flow in a basic electronic circuit?

Electrons flow in a basic electronic circuit due to the presence of a voltage source, such as a battery, which creates a potential difference between two points in the circuit. This potential difference causes the free electrons in the circuit to move from the negative terminal of the voltage source, through the circuit components, and back to the positive terminal of the voltage source.

2. What is the role of conductors in the flow of electrons?

Conductors, such as metals, allow for the flow of electrons in a basic electronic circuit. They have a large number of free electrons that are able to move freely within the material, allowing for the transfer of charge and the flow of electricity.

3. How does the resistance of a material affect the flow of electrons in a circuit?

The resistance of a material is a measure of its ability to impede the flow of electrons. As resistance increases, the flow of electrons decreases. This is due to the fact that the electrons encounter more obstacles and collisions as they move through the material, slowing down their movement and reducing the overall flow of electricity in the circuit.

4. Can electrons flow in both directions in a circuit?

Yes, electrons can flow in both directions in a circuit. In a basic electronic circuit, electrons flow from the negative terminal of the voltage source to the positive terminal. However, in some circuits, such as alternating current (AC) circuits, the direction of electron flow can change periodically.

5. What is the difference between series and parallel circuits in terms of electron flow?

In a series circuit, electrons flow through each component in a single path. This means that the current remains the same throughout the circuit and the voltage is divided between the components. In a parallel circuit, electrons have multiple paths to flow through, resulting in a split of the current and voltage between different branches of the circuit. This allows for different components to have different current and voltage values, and for the overall current in the circuit to be greater than the current in any individual branch.