How do I calculate average emf?

In summary, the task is to find the average emf induced between the terminals of a 100 loop coil of wire with a radius of 2.00 cm, when rotated in a uniform magnetic field with a strength of 0.500T, going from maximum flux to zero flux in 0.0320 s. The average emf can be calculated by dividing the change in flux by the change in time. It is also possible to calculate instantaneous emf, which is the derivative of the number of loops times the flux. This calculation is useful for power generators and can be approximated by dividing the change in flux by a very small change in time.
synergix

Homework Statement

1. When a 100 loop coil of wire of radius 2.00 cm is rotated in a uniform magnetic field,B=0.500T , so that it goes from maximum flux to zero flux in 0.0320 s, find the average emf induced between the terminals of the coil.

Homework Equations

Max Flux=BAcos(0)=Change in flux

E=-N change in flux/change in time

The Attempt at a Solution

E=[-N(BAcos0)]/t

E=[-100(0.500T pi(2.00cm2) cos 0o)]/0.0320s

How do I calculate average emf? should I just divide by 0.0320s again?

Physics news on Phys.org
Dividing by 0.0320 s just one time, as you have already done, will give average EMF.

Avg EMF = N Δ(Flux) / Δt​

Thank you.
Is it possible to calculate instantaneous emf? and would there ever be a use for such a calculation?

Last edited:
Yes and yes.

Have you had calculus? Instantaneous emf is the derivitive (w.r.t. time) of N x flux, where
flux = B A cos(ωt)​

It's useful for power generators, which operate on the principle of induced emf.

No I have not had any calculus. I am taking physics 12 right now. I am going to university next year to start an engineering degree so I will be into it soon enough.

Okay.

Instantaneous EMF can be approximated by
EMF = N Δ(Flux) / Δt
as long as Δt is a small amount of time, a lot smaller than one oscillation period.

The smaller Δt is, the better the approximation.

In the above homework, Δt corresponded to 1/4 of a period (the time to go from maximum to zero). It would have to be a lot smaller than that in order to get a decent approximation.

Related to How do I calculate average emf?

1. What is emf and why is it important to calculate?

Emf, or electromotive force, is a measure of the energy per unit charge supplied by a source of electrical energy. It is important to calculate because it tells us the potential difference between two points in a circuit and helps us understand the behavior of electrical circuits.

2. How is average emf calculated?

Average emf is calculated by taking the sum of all the individual emf values and dividing it by the total number of emf values. This can be represented by the formula: average emf = (emf1 + emf2 + ... + emfn) / n.

3. What is the difference between average emf and instantaneous emf?

Average emf is calculated over a period of time, while instantaneous emf is the emf value at a specific moment in time. Average emf takes into account any fluctuations or changes in emf over the given time period, while instantaneous emf only represents the emf at a single point in time.

4. What units are used to measure emf?

Emf is measured in units of volts (V) in the International System of Units (SI). However, it can also be measured in other units such as joules per coulomb (J/C) or electron volts (eV).

5. How is emf calculated in a circuit with multiple sources?

In a circuit with multiple sources, the total emf is equal to the sum of all the individual emf values. This is known as Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL). To calculate average emf in this case, you would use the same formula as before, but with the sum of all the individual emf values as the numerator.