How do i calculate or find out the yield stress of sugarcane?

In summary, yield stress is the amount of stress needed to permanently deform a material. To calculate the yield stress of sugarcane, a tensile test is conducted where the maximum stress applied before the sample breaks is the yield stress. Various factors such as variety, age, moisture content, and growing conditions can affect the yield stress of sugarcane. Knowing the yield stress is important for understanding its mechanical properties and can be useful for optimizing growing conditions and developing new varieties. The yield stress of sugarcane can change over time as the plant grows and matures, and may also vary depending on its location and the tested part of the plant.
a150daysflood
Hi, from what I know, the crushing force for sugar cane is somewhat similar to pine wood which is about 40 MPA. But since there's water content in it, I need to readjust the yield stress for to crush the sugarcane.

I've tried googling it but couldn't find much useful information. Anyone knows how should I approach this problem?

Thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
The crushing stress will be less, but only by testing it at various moisture content will you be be able to find out the results. Wood ultimate strength is also a function of moisture content.

1. What is the definition of yield stress?

Yield stress is the amount of stress or force required to cause a material to permanently deform or change shape.

2. How do I calculate the yield stress of sugarcane?

The yield stress of sugarcane can be calculated by conducting a tensile test, in which a sample of the sugarcane is pulled until it breaks. The maximum stress applied to the sample before it breaks is the yield stress.

3. What factors can affect the yield stress of sugarcane?

The yield stress of sugarcane can be affected by factors such as variety, age, moisture content, and growing conditions. Different varieties of sugarcane may have different yield stresses, and as the plant ages and dries out, the yield stress may decrease.

4. Why is it important to know the yield stress of sugarcane?

Knowing the yield stress of sugarcane is important for understanding its mechanical properties and how it will behave under different conditions. This information can be useful for farmers and researchers in optimizing growing conditions and developing new varieties of sugarcane.

5. Can the yield stress of sugarcane change over time?

Yes, the yield stress of sugarcane can change over time as the plant grows and matures. The yield stress may also vary depending on the location of the sugarcane in the plant and the part of the plant that is being tested.